For Clifton BP owners.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iNewbie

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for the bottom of the Tote on a Clifton to be slightly over the rear of the casting, and not be 100% inline/around the casting.

I don't know if this helps, but these are the totes on my No.3 and No.4½ planes.

Totes1.jpg
Totes3.jpg
Totes5.jpg

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Totes1.jpg
    Totes1.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Totes3.jpg
    Totes3.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Totes5.jpg
    Totes5.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 1,019
Hi Vann, thanks for the pics - I just noted the ' upload file ' facility below. This is my #4. I'm not losing sleep over it but I was curious - and your 4 1/2 is peeping over too. :wink:

Thanks again for taking the time on the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 974
Hi,

You would think that a single screw tote would get puled backwards more than a two screw one, I know the have an anti-rotation pin but its not accurately cast or drilled out on the tote.
I have had to fix a couple on old planes where they had play in the handle, small blob of car body filler works well, wax the pin first so you can get the tote off again.

Pete

The box drawing is the ideal, the handle ( not tote, american expression, uuggggrrrrrr ! ) is the real world. :(

I guess it's down to some what of mass production. Silly as it sounds i find it a tad annoying looking at my old stanley's and how miss matched the handle is to the machined upstand on the plane. This is why when i made the replacement handle for my 4 1/2, I made the handle slightly thicker to match the mounting point. Plus i took great care in the fitting/ sizing of the handle to the sole :)

Dangermouse":1i4b8m3n said:
...the handle ( not tote, american expression, uuggggrrrrrr ! )
Hi Dangermouse, I too dislike Americanisms. However I believe "tote" to be a ye olde world English term - which has fallen out of use in the motherland, but lingers in the States.

I use it for it's origins. The Yanks can call it what they like... (hammer) I also use "tote" to distinguish from the other handle - the "knob".

Cheers, Vann.

Edit: I see there's another thread on this topic. I guess I could change to "toat" - though a bit too close in spelling to "toad" or "stoat" & and I already have too many animals (mice) in my workshop (homer) :roll: :roll:

I seemed to have stirred up a hornets nest with my other thread on this very subject. lol.

Back