Foot switch-to use, or not to use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucio

Established Member
Reaction score
I started to use a foot switch after reading about them on this and other forums. The type where as long as you press on it, the saw keeps going. Let go, and the saw stops.
Worked fine for a few months, then one day, the saw wouldn't start.
It turned out, because the saw wasn't being turned off by it's own switch, carbon deposits built up on the switch contacts, stopping the saw from being turned on.
I had to take the swtch to pieces, cleaned the contacts and re-assemble it, and stopped using the foot switch.
This was over a year ago, and I've had no trouble since then.
Just a thought, if you're thinking of using a foot switch....
Bruce

I was thinking of adding a foot switch to mine once I'm set up.

Did you divert the wiring from the existing switch to the foot switch or did you parellel the 2 switches so that you could use both?

Paul

A normal 3-pin plug to the foot switch. The foot switch contacts, when pressed, connected the power to a normal 3-pin socket. The saw was plugged into that socket.
When you let go of the foot switch, the socket becomes dead, hence the saw stops.
Even if you then press the foot switch, the saw won't start until you press the saw "on" button.
After a few months, the saw "on" contacts became so coated with deposits that it wouldn't pass any current.
Since I stopped using the foot switch over a year ago, there's been no problem with the saw.
The scrollsaw is a SIP 16" model, and still works great.
Bruce

Oh I see. I wouldn't have done it that way. If you wired the foot switch (2 cores) onto either side of the existing start switch then it would work a lot better.

Where did you get the foot switch from?

Back