Foot switch for lathe safety?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I've yet to use my Myford ML8 but as a beginner I want to make sure I am working in as safe an environment as possible.

I have seen various configurations of safety cut-outs for lathes, and wanted to check if there was any reason NOT to use a momentary foot pedal switch like this one to operate a lathe?

I've read that some people think that we are conditioned to press to brake when e.g. driving, but if you use a sewing machine these are press to activate so I don't agree with this argument.

I don't feel like an emergency stop button located to the left of the motor, where the electronics are currently housed, will be particularly safe as I would have to reach behind the head to activate it. I have read about knee-bars but am not confident in setting one up. A foot pedal seems very practical and for my low-usage scenario not unduly uncomfortable.

Thoughts welcome!

Amadeus
Hello,
Quite simple - in an emergency line of sight will be you first line of safety, see the switch, reach for it, turn it off, I would not want to be jumping around the workshop in pain looking for a foot switch to turn off. I have been there and know having lost body parts,
Regards

Back