Food safe waterproof finish for Ash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all

I need to apply a finish to an Ash goblet.

Any recommendations for a waterproof and food safe finish.

I tried Chesnut's Food Safe oil on a bit of scrap, but it darkens the wood too much for my liking.

I saw a recent post about Melamine and Acrylic aerosols, but I'm beggared if I can find it now.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Neither acrylic nor melamine will significantly darken the appearance of ash, however the open grain of ash may benefit from several coats of sanding sealer prior to applying the acrylic / melamine.

Regards Mick

I do a lot of goblets and always used to use melamine and for the most art that was fine. I had one person leave a goblet overnight however with red wine in it and the stuff ate through the melamine (5 coats at that) so now I use about 4 coats of plasticoat which is water and alcohol proof.

Pete

andersonec":19cq4jwb said:
Worktop oil (various makes) food safe and waterproof.

Andy

As a temporary measure but anything that is being used for drinking from on a regular basis needs a more permanent coat. If it is used for alcoholic drinks the alchohol will easily get through the oil. Added to that the oil can leach into the drink making it taste funny. I make a lot of goblets and drinking vessels and have tried most finishes and the plasticoat is sold as waterproof and alcohol proof.

Pete

Pete, have I read your previous post correctly and got this right, Plasticote stays usable when activated for 3-4 days if kept sealed?
Useful info. if correct as I'd assumed it would not stay usable longer than a air exposed coating took to cure.

I made up too much the first time I used it and the jug was left open to the air. I assumed it would go hard on me but it was four days before it went too stiff to use. The stuff I painted on the wood was touch dry within the hour. I know doesn't make sense but very useful.

Pete

Thanks Pete, something else for the fishes cupboard next time I'm forced to call in a supplier.

Back