Fobco Star Return Spring Tension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweaver

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone can help.. I picked up a Fobco Star this weekend and it was smooth but dry as a bone.. I oiled/greased and pumped grease into the nipples and now its even smoother, but the resistance from the grease i causing the drill to retract a bit sluggish.

I want to increase the tension, but i dont know how.. I too, off the cover and there is a slot in the centre shaft holding one end of the spring and a pin on the outer casing holding the other.

The pin looks fixed, so i assumed that i would somehow have to disconnect the spring from the pin and give it an extra wind.

I am now thinking that the pin isnt fixed and perhaps it can be rotated.. Mine is at 1 o'clock, but i just saw a photo of on at approx 5 o'clock

How do i rotate the pin and put a bit of extra tension on the spring..

Can anyone help?

Jon

jweaver":sbyku5ix said:
I wonder if someone can help.. I picked up a Fobco Star this weekend and it was smooth but dry as a bone.. I oiled/greased and pumped grease into the nipples and now its even smoother, but the resistance from the grease i causing the drill to retract a bit sluggish.

I want to increase the tension, but i dont know how.. I too, off the cover and there is a slot in the centre shaft holding one end of the spring and a pin on the outer casing holding the other.

The pin looks fixed, so i assumed that i would somehow have to disconnect the spring from the pin and give it an extra wind.

I am now thinking that the pin isnt fixed and perhaps it can be rotated.. Mine is at 1 o'clock, but i just saw a photo of on at approx 5 o'clock

How do i rotate the pin and put a bit of extra tension on the spring..

Can anyone help?

Jon

Can you post a photo of the spring holder mechanism. I have used similar drills, where you release the locking screw and turn the spring holder to adjust the tension. Often the entire holder, if you have one, can turn. In effect the "outer casing" is the adjuster mechanism.

Here are some pics (see towards the end of page). This isnt my drill, but someone talking about the same thing

fobco-star-bench-drill-t68317-15.html

In this picture the pin is at 4 o'clock, mine is at 1.

I would assume you can rotate the body, but it had a mark on it which is used to read a depth from a ruler stamped on the cap, so i dont think it turns.

Jon

On the left hand side of the drill is the spring cover (with the graduations marked on it. It is held on with the large chromed bolt which you remove along with a couple of large washers. You can now see the spring and will see that the spring holder assembly rotates when you lower and raise the quill.

Under the spring assembly in the body of the drill (at the 6 o clock position) you will find a small hole. This contains a grub screw that uses an allen key. Basically you need to hold the spring assembly tightly, loosen the grub screw, and then you can rotate the wholeassembly to add more tension to the spring. Tighten the grub screw and reassemble the cover and washers.

Misterfish

misterfish":2febf68q said:
On the left hand side of the drill is the spring cover (with the graduations marked on it. It is held on with the large chromed bolt which you remove along with a couple of large washers. You can now see the spring and will see that the spring holder assembly rotates when you lower and raise the quill.

Under the spring assembly in the body of the drill (at the 6 o clock position) you will find a small hole. This contains a grub screw that uses an allen key. Basically you need to hold the spring assembly tightly, loosen the grub screw, and then you can rotate the wholeassembly to add more tension to the spring. Tighten the grub screw and reassemble the cover and washers.

Misterfish

Thanks for that.. Will take a look tonight.. How tight do you have to hold the assembly? Could you hold it with a gloved hand? Or do you need to use a tool (i was thinking of using one of those rubber straps on a handle).

Jon

jweaver":mnof8uwb said:
Thanks for that.. Will take a look tonight.. How tight do you have to hold the assembly? Could you hold it with a gloved hand? Or do you need to use a tool (i was thinking of using one of those rubber straps on a handle).

Jon

On the drill I've used, which isn't quite the same, I can just about do it with a bare hand. I think wearing a glove or using the Boa strap is a wise precaution. In fact the strap is probably ideal.

I am still struggling.. I have removed the cap and I tried to hold the body with a strap, but it's a bit greasy and I couldn't get much purchase.

So I resorted to hand holding.. I grabbed it and released the grub screw.. I could easily hold the body and increase/reduce the tension at will...

BUT, the body will only turn approx 1/8th of a turn.. It stops with the pin at 11 and 1 o'clock.. Its a hard stop.. I simply can't turn it... I even took the grub screw right out just to check it wasn't fouling... I am clearly missing something, but I am nervous about doing anything too drastic I case the whole thing suddenly let's go..

What am I missing? Why can't I turn the body past a certain point?

Jon

Edit: Ignore this.. Had another try and suddenly it went and now turns all the way.. No idea what was jamming it, but its free now. I managed to get another turn in before the spring was so tight that you couldnt go full stroke, so i backed it off to almost where it wa.

It didnt make much different.. Increasing the tension didnt really make the quill retract any better.. Its fine.. Just a bit slow so i will live with it.. Hopefully as the grease spreads it will loosen up..

Thanks for everyones help

Latest posts

Back