Floor project nearing completion!! hurrah!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

You may remember my previous post regarding how to strengthen my bedroom floor to take the bounce out of it and lay a new oak floor.

Well, you were good enough to reply to my questions and point me in the right direction so I thought I'd post some WIP pics.

I've never done anything like this before but I had a very good friend of my brother in law come round to advise (he's a very clever bloke and although not qualified as a structural engineer he's as good as)

Before I started I jacked up the floor to try and take the bow out of the floor and to help support it whilst the surgery takes place...

I then (to cut a long story short) Lifted new joists in through the window, cut the to length, slotted in the walls screwed then to the existing joists drilled 12mm holes every metre and bolted them together. I managed to put four new 6x3 c22 grade joists in.

I also put quite a few noggins in between the joists.

Then.. I laid 22mm 4 sided t&g chipboard over the joists (marking out electrics and plumbing as I went) and screwed the chipboard to the joists. I must have used about 400 screws for this :shock:

I then laid 18 mm oak 4 sided t &g over this. I used a secret nailer for this job. A most impressive tool and well worth the rent for 2 days!

Overall I'm very pleased with the floor, after removing the acro's the floor is much more level and has no movement (bounce) Hurrah!

It took me a full hard week to complete but it was a satisfying job once completed.

I've still got to put the door back on, fit skirting boards and finish the step edge on to the landing. The worsts most definatley over though!

Here is an example of my strict safety concious work

Thanks,
steven

And an (Almost) finish pic!

And a question..

At the edge of the doorway I've got a piece of finishing trim to go along the edge.

Unfortunatley, the first and last pieces (nearest the door frame) arn't inline with the others. I wanting to plane the edge to square it up in order to fit the trim. I've had no recent planing experience and don't own a decent plane. I've recently used a power plane but I hate the things (its a very cheap one) and only ever use it as a last resort.

I'm fearful of damaging the ends with a plane. could anyone advise on a plane for the job (reasonably priced) and is end grain on oak hard to plane i.e. will it splint off at the edges.

Thanks,
steven

This job is a good example for every one, you found out the technical requirements identified the specific site problems came up with solutions then worked hard to make a permanent job. I am glad the info you obtained here helped in planning and implementing the job it looks well worth the effort.

Shultzy":1x4prdmw said:
steven, I would have thought that a router and trimming bit would make an excellent finish.

Hello,

That was going to be the plan, however my router won't fit near the edges where its needed as the walls are in the way.

Back