Floating shelf brackets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry stupid question for the day!

I want to put a mantle shelf up with hidden brackets - the sort with long rods that go into your shelf. Once they are on what, if anything, stops the shelf from being pulled forward again? I have got visions of someone grabbing hold of it and the whole lot going flying!

I was hoping to find some with a fixing screw, or something perhaps fastened from underneath, but they all appear to just slide on.

Thanks

The ones I have seen have little grub screws that go up through the bottom of the shelf into the rods.

Sorry stupid question for the day!

I want to put a mantle shelf up with hidden brackets - the sort with long rods that go into your shelf. Once they are on what, if anything, stops the shelf from being pulled forward again? I have got visions of someone grabbing hold of it and the whole lot going flying!

I was hoping to find some with a fixing screw, or something perhaps fastened from underneath, but they all appear to just slide on.

Thanks

Use sticks like sh*t or gorilla brand mastic (or any decent equivalent) to glue the shelf onto the bracket and run a bead along the back of the shelf so it’s glued to the wall as well.

When you put it in the hole in the shelf don’t put so much in that there is going to be no room for the rod of the bracket.

I’ve done it like this in the past found the result to be solid enough.

Our went up with eccentric-bored and tapped steel dowels threaded onto 150mm screws with threaded shanks. Screws were wound into the wall, using the biggest rawlplug-look-alike I've ever seen
You could rotate the eccentric to level the oak sleeper beam. Once lined up, simple silly cone into holes bored into the reverse face of the beam secured dowels to beam. Once set, it was rock solid.

HTH, Sam

We've used the ikea ones at work with our own fabricated shelves. They have a small screw in the underside of each rod.

I put my mantle piece up with them. I wasn't skill full enough to put them up perfectly in line.

The mantle piece had to be tapped into place, it's going nowhere.

Hafele make the ones with the grub screw. IIRC they have a 2mm eccentric to help you line them up straight. Used them myself. Shelf is still up 10 years later.

Sticks like, I made a load using all thread and a block on the wall. So strong they had to take the stud wall down to get them off I kid you not haha. That is the issue with then, have to be sure you, as there isn’t much room for movement
EEA3A897-2FB9-4726-9477-D37A9FE5D86B.jpeg

Bad, bad, very bad memories have been resurrected.

I had to put up 3 oak shelves, 1800mm long that had been provided with hidden bars. Each shelf had 4 individual bars to fit.

Hell on bloody earth!! Especially in a 140 year old plaster over bricks embedded with lumps of flint and the like.

The screw ends of the bars were 12mm threads with supplied wall plugs. To this day I would defy anyone to fit 12 of those into a 140 year old
wall, equidistant, 90 degrees to the wall, level and equidistant between the three shelves.

I did manage to fit two, but in the end gave up. I then had to get them out of the wall. OK, I didn't have to plaster the WHOLE wall, just significant
chunks. Once those beggars were in, they were in! Then there were the other unsuccessful holes.

I then of course had to try and match the paint. We now have a feature wall.

Never, ever again. And if anyone can fit them, homage to you and your skills that I definitely lack!

Back