Float glass?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
I was going to get some glass tomorrow from my local glazier for flattening my waterstones and maybe lapping the back of my plane blades (once I get some lapping grit), how thick should the glass be? and what sort of size should I get? Is the correct name ‘Float’ glass or are there any other names for it?
Plus, I was going to use 180 or 240 grit wet & dry, or am I better of using that 3M drywall product, that everyone talks about?

Sorry for all the questions, but any advise you could give me would be great!

Nads

Nads

You are right it is called Float Glass and any glazier should be able to supply it.

I have a piece about 12" square that I put in a frame and for doing planes blades fine this an adequate size to use.

Regarding the medium I use wet and dry and wet it with WD40, I usually only finish off the blade on the flaot glass and thats with 2500 grade, for some reason I get a sharper edge using this after the 8000 grit wetstone, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it works for me.

I'm sure the experts will be along soon to advise.

Waka":276hbxj0 said:
I'm sure the experts will be along soon to advise.

Sounds like you know your stuff to me :wink:

What sort of price might I be expected to pay for a 12” square piece? and what sort of thickness is your glass?
WD40 really that course a grit for flatting stones, I thought I read somewhere 180 or 240 grit, I’m probably wrong tho?

What sort of frame did you build for it?

Nads

I thought he meant Wet & Dry 40 grit? :oops: Soory Waka!
Do you have to use oil like WD40 as a lubricant or can you just use water?

Nads

I bought a sheet of float glass 6" x 36 about 12mm and they ground the edges while I waited. It was just on off cut and was just charged for the grinding. It was only £5. Dave

I've just been giving a qoute of about £8, for a piece of 12" square float
glass, 10mm thick. Firstly will this be thick enough, as he said anything thickness would be double the price :( ? And secondly how do you guys store it?

Do I need the edges rounded off or can I do that myself?

Nads

Just about all glazing glass in the UK is float glass and has been for many years thanks to Pilkington's domination of the market. 10mm should be thick enough (in fact I reckon that 6mm window glass will do, see next comment), I'd just make sure its mounted onto a flat surface such as 18mm MDF. I'd get the edges "ground safe", i.e. the sharp edges removed, as a glass cut can be pretty nasty. You can take the sharp edges off yourself with a carborundum stone, but it's probably not worth the effort

Scrit

You may want to get a slightly bigger piece of glass if you think you may want to flatten a plane on it.

If you're just doing the blades, it should be fine.

Cool thanks guys, so the 10mm will be thick enough, plus I’ll get the edges ground. I’ll pick up some MDF too to mount the glass on! I think I’m just going to flatten stones and lap plane / chisel blades on it, but thank J for the advice on plane flattening. :)

I’m slowly building up my tool kit! :lol:

Nads

Nads

When I did mine I put it on some 18mm ply and lipped over the edge of the glass on 3 sides, this holds it in place nicely and you only have to worry about the exposed edge to the front. This also helps as protection for the glass. Another thing I did was to screw a battern on the bottom so I can either hold it in the vice, or it can act as a dog up against the bench.

can't send you a pic becasue I'm not at home.

Hope this helps.

I've also being looking at the Vertias pond, but I might wait a while until I get that as I’m still fairly new to waterstones and want to make sure I really like them compared to other sharpening methods before I go and slash out £35! Looks like a good idea to me tho! :lol:

Thanks Everyone!

Nads

Another trick with the Stone Pond is, once you have flattened your stone using 240g Wet'n'Dry on the glass plate, just place the stone face up on the aforesaid abrasive and sharpen away. The W'n'D makes a nice non-slip surface, and saves having to invest in one of DC's rubber mats.

Back