Flexiply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo

Reaction score
Hi all ,new member,sorry to start with a question,I make hoop drums and a friend has recommended I use flexiply to make the hoops,I need to achieve approx 10mm total thickness,would you say to use 3 x 3 mm, 2 x 5 mm oe 2 x 3mm with a 1.5mm birch laminate over the top.Please take into account that I am an inexperienced woodworker looking for help.Thanks in advance,Jim.

It's a similar style,but there would be no bracing across the hoop,a rawhide drumhead is laced across the hoop,so it would need to be stable so it wouldn't flex out of shape.

I would go for as many thin layers as possible as that allows for the maximum options for staggering the joints, and the minimum impact from the distortions that will occur in the region of each end-to-end join.

As nick says I would use several layers of 1.5mm birch skinply which is made from much closer grained timber than flexiply. It usually comes in 1525x1525mm sheets.

Alternate the grain direction and stagger the joints. You can either clamp it to a former or use strap clamps. Use a glue that is not likely to creap such as Titebond II or Extramite.

Jason

Hi guys,sizes are 12" up to 20",by strapping around a form,would the ply need to be soaked,or would it bend OK dry ?.

Jason beat me to it. The flexi-ply would be very acoustically 'dead' as well as much weaker. It's a bit like a big flat (until you bend it) weetabix.

Hi Jim,

Have you thought of using constructional veneers?
You can get a variety of real wood veneers (do a google search) that are usually 1.5 mm thick.
Never used them to make drums but made curved draw fronts and seen curved coffee table legs made succuessfully. I think they would bend round your bigger diameter (20") OK but they may need steaming to do the smaller diameter.

Cheers

Grahame

Latest posts

Back