Flattening veneer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

My wife has been donated some veneer by a really generous forum member. When it arrived at our abode it was somewhat wavy. My wife asked me how to flatten it. Of course I had no idea.

So, could someone, out of the goodness of their heart advise my wife, and me, what to do please?

ATB Gary.

I have recently flantened some burr veneer for the 1st time and found it quite easy all i did was give both sides of the veneer a spray over with a plant mister till they were damp that laid it on a board covered with come white paper then another sheet of white paper then another board and left it overnight to dry, next day repeated the process but this time put a heavy weight on it while it dried and on the third day repeated but this time clamped it with a load of G clamps and as if by magic one flat veneer.

Gary, here's a couple of ways that usually work. Slainte.

Flattening veneer.

Mix Together-
2 parts PVA glue
3 parts water
1 part glycerin
1 part denatured alcohol- yes, it can be purchased in the UK. We don’t have to buy meths with the blue dye, but that can be used too.

Mix all components together thoroughly and apply to both sides of the veneer liberally.

Let soak for 5 minutes.

Place veneer between thin mesh plastic on both sides and add 2-3 layers of newspaper on top of the mesh. Fibreglass mesh works well as a separator to prevent the glue sticking the paper to the veneer. Add more newspaper, mesh, veneer, etc., stacking as high as you like.

Place this "sandwich" in a vacuum press with a caul on top (1/4" minimum.) and apply full pressure. If you don’t have a vac bag you can put chipboard top and bottom and weigh it all down with anything heavy—sandbags are one option for instance.

Change the newspaper 2-3 times the first day and leave under pressure overnight.

On the second day remove the sandwich from the press and take away the screen, it is no longer needed, as the veneer will not stick to the newspaper anymore, but you can put a layer of plastic down instead if you want.

Change the newspaper 2-3 times on this second day but do not put the sandwich in the press, just place weight on top of the caul to hold the stack down. It’s easy to think this second day is unnecessary since the veneer will be fairly dry but it is not dry enough to press. This extra day is important for good final results.

On the third day the veneer is ready to use. if you do not use it immediately the veneer will stay flat for months provided a board is placed on top of the veneer stack, and light pressure is applied. Newspaper between the veneer is unnecessary at this point.

This is also a good way to flatten veneers for storage. The glue added to the solution will keep the veneers flat for a long time.

If you have a heated press, either hydraulic or vacuum type the whole job can be foreshortened to about two hours to four or six hours.

Flattening veneer for immediate use.

For a fairly quick veneer flattening job start by mixing an approximate 1:8 proportion of glycerin and water.

Spray the mixture on both sides of the veneer with a plant mister and wait for a few minutes to let it soak in. Then place individual sheets of veneer between double sheets of newsprint and weight them down or press them between waxed or polished chipboard cauls. Change the paper every 24 hours.

The veneer should be flat, soft and ready to glue up in a day or two if you're using PVA, hide glue, or other water based glue. If you're using epoxy or something that might not bond if there is moisture in the veneer, keep doing the newspaper routine until the veneer is down to the target MC.

I've heard other people suggest adding a little hide glue to the glycerin solution, but I haven’t tried it so I don’t know if it helps.

:shock:
What news paper do you specify for the lamination flattening ?

Jacob

Many printers (if you can find a real one any more) used to hold a stock of newsprint paper ("new improved newsprint") so I've just asked for unprinted scrap in the past. If in doubt have a look at the imprint on any electoral bumf you get through the door - that's one way to find a pinter who has the stuff in your vicinity :D

Scrit

Thanks everyone for your input.

Andy, thanks for the link, I found it interesting reading.

Sgian Dubh, Wont the concoction with the PVA effect the results of the finnish? In my own limited experience PVA has to be thoroughly cleaned off. Otherwise it totally puffins up the finish, or am I doing something wrong.

srs, I think I'll give your idea a go first, as this was the sort of thing that was in the back of my mind. Plus it's cheaper and easyer.

Any information greatly received.
ATB Gary.

It's imperative that you use only Saturday editions of The Scotsman.

Failing that you can just about get away with using Tuesday, last edition copies of The New York Times. Slainte.

garywayne":6s6vy68l said:
Sgian Dubh, Wont the concoction with the PVA effect the results of the finnish?

Gary, no. Not in my experience. It's evenly spread throughout the veneer for one and, secondly, it's a very thin and weak mix to stiffen the grain once the veneer is flat. Slainte.

Thanks for your reply Slainte, I'll give it a go.

I take it I can get the glycerin, and denatured alcohol from my local chemist? (High street chemist).

ATB Gary.

Yes, chemists for glycerin, but alcohol (meths) can be got from any hardware store or paint supplier. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":uacpboak said:
It's imperative that you use only Saturday editions of The Scotsman.
So you've never had the experience of being able to read the racing results on the top of a veneered table - with the help of a mirror, of course :wink:

Scriy

----able to read the racing results on the top of a veneered table. Scrit

Nah, I don't read that section anyway.

But yes, it's true, the print can show on pale veneers, so it doesn't hurt to put some unprinted paper either side of the veneer first. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back