Flat brackets for joining/stiffening wooden shelving?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redefined_cycles

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking something that looks like this Abru Steel Flat strap (L)80mm (W)15mm (T)2mm | DIY at B&Q

But they're a bit blooming expensive. This is the shelving which I'm jsut trying to stiffen up as it's 20cm width combined with a 21vm to make a total depth of 41cm. Have added one wooden strut and a few braces. But I think it might be good measure to also add some stiffeners every few 50cm or so...

20230212_181631.jpg

20230212_181647.jpg

Here's on of the stiffeners I made to go under. Want to try and preserve as much gap under as I possibly can though and making lots of these is probably not adding as much atiffness as I want. Lot of work too!

20230213_171504.jpg

20230213_171634.jpg

Bit more clarity on where the bracing will go. Underneath them newly created shelves (bottom 2) somewhere near the centres as the ends I think are supported enough for some decent weight/stuff bearing...

I'm not sure if I've completely missed your point but I don't see how the metal brackets would help you. If you want additional strength, without struts that would get in way, why not just attach a batten, on edge preferably, running like a lip under the length of the shelf?

or if it is to attach the front and back board together to bare the weight more evenly I'd just be running the battens front to back not side to side.

Stronger still would be some L section steel or box section running front to back

but likely I've not understood the problem

I'm not sure if I've completely missed your point but I don't see how the metal brackets would help you. If you want additional strength, without struts that would get in way, why not just attach a batten, on edge preferably, running like a lip under the length of the shelf?

or if it is to attach the front and back board together to bare the weight more evenly I'd just be running the battens front to back not side to side.

Stronger still would be some L section steel or box section running front to back

but likely I've not understood the problem
Thanks @TheUnicorn I think you've understood it ok. Running a length underneath from left/front to right/back would make it one long length and wasn't sure Idget the rigidity I wanted.

I want to attach the front and back lengths of timber so they both sit flush. But also help the front piece (which is only supported at the left and right end + a brace each coming/going to the above/below) become as rigid as the back. The back being supported with brackets along the back wall (3 x 2 battens).

I'm currently here at screwfix and just about to beluy these Door Connectors Zinc-Plated 19 x 2.5 x 190mm 10 Pack - Screwfix

I think this should do the trick if I attach em in v sections or similar...

Ended up just buying a couple of London brackets (I do hate them things, but needs must as the others were about 5× dearer). I've also added some more vertical struts and everything seems to be feeling alot stiffer now.

I did think about making some brackets from wood but...

Thanks all.

While the London brackets will help, the thing that has been suggested and actually does the job is a batten under the shelf, glued and screwed. The flat steel plates are not adding stiffness where you need it, the London bracket are helping, but your shelves are sagging

These shelves are only 19mm X 650mm X 1500mm but with 2 35mm square batterns they are easily supporting over 100kg of water supported at each corner.
6C853D08-9D15-4456-8B56-45E18F168858.jpeg

Latest posts

Back