Flat bottomed hole, BUT ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to make a 35mm diameter hole, 13mm deep, BUT the piece of wood is only about 15mm thick ... the central 'point' on my Forstner bit would come through the other side of the wood.

Any ideas ?

Do you have a Router?

If so make yourself a Hole Jig to take a Guide Bush or if you do not have Guide Bush use a bearing guided Straight Side and Face cutter to plunge in stages.

LeeElms":1bufbcdr said:
I need to make a 35mm diameter hole, 13mm deep, BUT the piece of wood is only about 15mm thick ... the central 'point' on my Forstner bit would come through the other side of the wood.
The other alternative is a "pointless" hinge boring bit like this. Worth buying if you do a lot in the drill press

Scrit

Thanks.

I have a router, but don't currently have a combination of router cutter size & guide bush which will produce the correct hole size from any jig hole size that I can readily produce. I am considering the option of buying a suitable bearing guided cutter ...

Scrit: the cutter is a nice simple approach, although perhaps difficult to justify the cost for one job.

Any other approaches that I should consider anyone ?

How about buying a cheap forstner that size and carefully grinding the size of the point down.?

Well, Toolstation do a cheap tool steel one at £ 2.52 inc. VAT, whilst Tooled-Ip.com do the Draper TCT one for £ 6.04 incl VAT. ToolShop Direct do the Trend version at £ 8.37 incl VAT. That's probably as cheap as it gets. Useful size to have as most concealed hinges need a 35mm hole 10 to 13mm deep

Scrit

interesting isn't it that after years of selling these bits for routers,
everybody now only sells such for use in the drill press??

is this another example of health and safety getting their nickers in
a twist.???? :eek:

paul :wink:

engineer one":1m5vhgy8 said:
is this another example of health and safety getting their nickers in
a twist.???? :eek:

Normally prompted by injury, to be fair to them.

i have to say that although that might be true, it seems to me that
these days H&S always want to save our lives even if only one
person gets killed.

because of the compensation society, too many people do not want to
learn how to use products properly, relying instead on getting
money for old rope.

i cannot imagine tony would try for compensation, but i can figure an H&S man would look for a "risk assessment" before we eat a sandwich.

in today's world, where on govt ppi programmes, a builder cannot take
on site a pointed blade stanley knife, they have to be rounded!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

H&S is much to powerful, and stops people taking responsibility for themselves and their own actions.

paul :wink:

You can still get the router types, it's just that they cost more..... I still use a Wealden one in a router from time to time. A lot of stuff is sold with 10mm diameter shanks because the predominent users of this type of tool are industrial and own boring machinery (which has more or less all standardised on the 10mm shank with flat arrangement). Other supplier who sell router tooling include KWO and I believe CMT. Personally I find a drill press a lot less fraught than using the router for boring holes this size - and I'm hardly a beginner on the router :wink:

Scrit

I agree on the health and safety lark going overboard as everything can be proved to be dangerous if you look carefully enough.

For example everyone who breathes air end up by dying hence air should be a banned substance and all plants should have warning stickers on them saying "Consuming oxygen can lead to death!".

Instead of banning everything there should be more of what Paul says and that people should learn how to use their tools instead (not that I'm saying Tony doesn't know how to use a router... sometimes an accident is just an accident).

I had a friend who went through the Falklands war without a scratch and came home and stepped off a kerb... broke his back! Sometimes the dangerous environment makes us take more notice and the safe environment makes us take less notice and causes more of a hazard. :?

Neomorph":1uk0fhx9 said:
Sometimes the dangerous environment makes us take more notice and the safe environment makes us take less notice and causes more of a hazard. :?

Why don't you write to the HSE suggesting that their approach is diametrically opposed to the promotion of safety?

Most of this stuff is like the eu banning bendy bananas, myths made up by press with a particular agenda.

I got a Trend one from B&Q with an 8 mm shank so it will fit the router 1/2" collet with adaptor) or in the drill press. Cost about £13 though.

cheers

George

Most of this stuff is like the eu banning bendy bananas, myths made up by press with a particular agenda.

Having said which, today's article in the Telegraph about the 72 year old pensioner being chucked off a bus in Cardiff for 'H&S reasons' because he had a tin of paint from B&Q with him does make you realise that we are possibly further down the line than might be completely necessary...

Safety can be legislated about 'till we're unable to carry tins of paint on buses - or change lights on stepladders - but the idiotic will still try to use a table saw to cut monofilament fishing line (!!!), and the unlucky will still be struck by lightning. Concentration and commonsense remain the number one priorities - legislating for the lowest common denominator would, logically, ban our hobby altogether - "We can't have thousands of uncertified amateurs running around with sharpened blades and rotating knives... It's a selfish abuse of NHS priorities to have to waste time and money on these self-indulgent blade freaks when they get hurt - and anyway, wood is a scarce bio-resource that needs state protection..." :roll: (sorry - going off topic, but amused by the article...)

Lee, have you already got a 35mm Forstner bit? What about a flush trim router bit (bearing between cutter and router)? Those two pieces and a scrap of wood or MDF and you're set.

If you're going out to buy something to make this hole, it would seem to me that the router bit would be the more useful item to buy that another Forstner bit.

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.

I think I prefer the idea of the router bit with a bearing above the cutter. The first place I looked was Wealden, but they only seem to have a cutter which I'm not sure is suitable for plunging ... it is described as being for trimming to match a template. I'll have a look at the Trend options next ...

Back