Fixing patterns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Being a relative newbie to scroll sawing I have been on here quite a bit asking various questions and I have received some very sound advice from the more experienced scrollers. I have another question for you all. I expect most of you are like me and print patters off the computer but I am having a problem fixing them to birch ply wood and hardwoods. At the moment I am using prit glue, in a lip stick type tube, it sticks very well but then when I have finished i peel off what I can but the majority of the paper I have to sand off. I had heard you can get spray glues that allow you to peel off and reposition etc. A friend mentioned that the ideal stuff would be a spray on adhesive called Scotch-weld 75 made by 3M. It says in the blurb that the adhesion is from 5 seconds to several hours. This does not mean a lot to me but I am assuming it is exactly what I need but I would value your opinions before I buy as it is nearly £9 for a can. Thank a lot.

Geoff.

Laminate wood with transparent duct tape and apply glue :
+ moisturize saw blade
+prevents scorch
+falls off easily
+Wood is easier to slip

I use Butapren glue > The adhesive should penetrate into the paper

Hi,
To remove the stuck on paper I brush with turps, leave a minute or so then it usually peels off. Wash off, lightly, any remaining glue and wipe with a rag.
At least that's what I do.
Bob H.

I use a spray on temp adhesive and then use mineral spirits (also known as white spirits) to remove it. I also use self adhesive photo paper a lot - starnge as it may sound, if you keep look out it is not as expensive as it sounds.
Noel

Hello everyone I have just joined ttis site and have been Scrolling for a few years not realising that ther is quite a folloowing in the UK
I live in the Ammanford area of Wales

In answer to the question about fixing patterns to wood it coould not be easier put Blue painters tape on the wood available at B+Q £6 a roll which lasts forever and then go over this with your Pritt Stck and then put your pattern on.
Once you have finished cutting it could not be easier to remove

Ok back to the Saw The light is going. =D> =D>

I never expected to get so many replies. I am really thankful to everyone. a couple of you have mentioned temporary spray adhesive and it obviously works for you, would you able to let me know what it is called and where I can get it.

Puzzler. Thanks for the tip re-carbon paper but tracing my patterns on is not an option. I'm on a production line at the moment so everything I do has to be quick, going like mad so I am ready for the next craft fair.

Gibbsie. That is a good idea using white spirit to get the paper off. do you think this would stain the birch plywood I am using. I am sure it will be fine on the hardwoods as well.

Thanks again everyone. By the way. just thought I would mention it. I have just got the new addition of photoshop for my apple mac. It has been a long time since I used photoshop and I was wondering if any of you used it if there were any tutorials online for scroll saw work that would point me in the right direction for designing my own patterns.

i have tried sprays found a bit messy and if you put to much on the pattern takes a lot of sanding i also found that the pattern used to lift off at edges.

the projects i do require finish sanding so i use prit stick but the metallic coloured tube one as it a bit stronger , the trick is not rubbing too much on and most of the time it peals of with minimal sanding.if you are sanding to a finish i think this is by far the easiest quickest and cheapest method. for plywood the idea with the decorators blue tape sounds a good idea

Thanks Mac. I have just discovered that if I do as you do and use prit stick and cut the pattern as soon as I have glued it then the paper peels off quite easily, I am doing a pile of Christmas decorations at the moment in 9mm birch ply and it works a treat. I was in Wilkinson's the other day and they do their own version of prit stick but in huge tubes and half the price of prit stick and it works very well. I a ordering some spray for other applications. It does not really matter if a little paper is left behind after I have finished cutting the patters as they all have a light sanding anyway. Yes. I too quite like the idea of the blue decorators tape, it is very popular on the American sites. I do a lot of stack cutting and at th moment I use a screw in two corners and at the moment the system works fine. Thanks again Mac.

My preferred method is apply blue tape.. then spray tape and also the back of the pattern, this makes the pattern
stick permanently to the tape, but of course the tape just peels nicely off of the wood along with the bits of remaining pattern.

As mac1012 says the spraying can be a bit messy but the local free paper to spray on comes in handy :D

Back