Fixed it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Well folks.
Took Petes suggestion and have managed to fix the foot on this piece.Can you see the join.
I used the offcut from the previous goblet which as the same sort of figuring.Pleased with it now.
Also took the middle bits out as it didn't look right,and because i couldn't quite get the piece to run centrally.
Another piece though with another defect :roll:

From this

To this.

Paul.J.

nice work Paul... pity about the middle bit :lol:

might be useful to others to know how you remounted and achieved such an good result....

I must have a kink somewhere 'cos I really like that second one with the fault. As long as I don't have to drink out of it :lol:

Pete

Oldsoke wrote
might be useful to others to know how you remounted and achieved such an good result....
Yes good idea Graham.
I cut the stem at the bottom across the knuckle part removing broken old foot.
Found the offcut from the goblet i made the other day,which is from the same lot of wood.
Marked the centre on it using a centre finder.
Measured the dia of the stem,which in this case is 6mm.
Drilled the 6mm hole into the centre of the new foot,about 6mm deep,and super glued the stem in.Nice tight fit.
Re-mounted into chuck carefully trying to centralise it by tapping the goblet,and turned the new foot,trying to blend it in to make the join as invisible as possible. :roll:
Had to remove the middle part as there was still a little bit of wobble on the goblet,which was then just sanded to finish.
Hope this helps.
Paul.J.

Thanks for the info Paul, just as an afterthought (aren't they always the best :lol: ) the join can sometimes be disguised by adding a a couple of deco incisions...

in your case it would have added too much (imho) and detracted from the clean lines of the goblet... would have worked with the middle bit :wink:

Back