Fixed based router - why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archersam

Established Member
Reaction score
Have had a search and could not really get an answer. What is the purpose of a fixed based router versus the usual plunge type?

I ask as will be in US in next few weeks and some purchases are likely to be on the cards and well I am at a loss to understand the difference. There seems to be a lot of fixed ones.

Currently I have a 1/4 Trend T3 mounted in Trend table and want to upgrade to a 1/2 machine (probably in new table but undecided as yet).

110v is not a problem, in fact it was the article on here that made me think about doing it!
Thanks in advance.
Sam

:oops: I think I have worked it out myself by looking at the Bosch one on Axminster site. If I understand it rightly what I think is "fixed" is actually also adjustable plunge but not in the sense of what I am used to in UK, ie quick plunge with quick release and secure?

You set the depth and the router is then fixed securely at said depth? Just remember to not put it on the bench before its stopped.......

Fixed base are cheap and simple. Look at the prices on Porter-Cable 691 D-handle routers and you'll see what I mean. If you do a lot of edge prodiling, rebates, etc it may be worth getting one. They also work well in router tables (the P-C type "screw into" the base to change depth of cut)

FatFreddysCat":2kg37j7r said:
Fixed base are cheap and simple. Look at the prices on Porter-Cable 691 D-handle routers and you'll see what I mean. If you do a lot of edge prodiling, rebates, etc it may be worth getting one. They also work well in router tables (the P-C type "screw into" the base to change depth of cut)

cool, I was looking for a 1/2" for a table so will keep watching a few P-C ones on ebay as they seem good value seeing as I will already be over there.

Before coming to the UK i had never used a plunge router. I had a portacable that was 3 and a half horse power. Which unfortunately some one stole last year, *sniff*

Each tool has it's place. I wouldn't consider using a big multi bit in a plunge router or some other big bits. They have much bigger bases for stability and some even come with different bases for different jobs. and some even have a plunge base as an option. Now that i have two spindle moulders i have no need to mount a router but i still have as i have some of my favorite bits. So the mounted one is a solid base, one for general shop stuff is a plunge and now i'll need another plunge for my newest purchase the woodrat. Then a laminate trimmer for doing small stuff.

I'm not sure if a person can have enough routers. Once it's set up for one thing it's inconvenient to take it apart and set it up for another job.

If you are going to get a solid base router go for the Portacable. There are several types of these get the biggest baddest boy you can afford you won't regret it.

I have the bosch dual router, the fixed part always stays in the router table and if I need to use the plunge free hand I quickly remove the motor and pop it into the the plunge section. I also had some trouble a few years ago with the cut slipping (due to the lock)when I was cutting dovetails slots on the router table with a plunge router (very frustrating)
so I changed to the dual the have had no issues with it. I'm sure there are loads of people who have had no issues with the plunge lock but I did and changed and its been smiles all the way.

Ian

Yes its easy to ajust the height (depth of cut) from under the table release the clamp and ajust with the ajustment knob and reclamp -it take 30 seconds.

One of the best investments I have ever made was the dual router, though I don't use the hand help much I'm more a router table man.

Ian

Back