Fitting strip wood to a stone wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fitting about 10 metres of pine strip wood against an uneven stone wall atop the oak upstands of my workbench. Using the brilliant Profiler scribing tool I can get a very good line, which I can then jigsaw out for a rough fit. To get a really close fit, I need to remove small amounts of the strip wood as necessary to match the profile of the wall. I've been using a large file for this, but it's tedious, time consuming, and dusty.

Is there a better tool for small adjustments like this? Something like a vegetable peeler, but for wood.

For an accurate scribe that will be seen, I use compass, pencil, handsaw, coping saw, or jigsaw is a bit rougher.
Or small blade in the band saw.
For a job like you're doing, that means you just want fixing "grounds" for you're boarding, just drill and fix battens,
packed suitably off the stonework.
You could cheat and plaster the wall, making life easier, or plaster a flat strip where the uprights go.
Regards Rodders

I might give a spokeshave a go then, although I will probably need quite a small one to match the nooks-and-crannies of the wall. Thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone!

I use a 4" angle grinder with a flap type sanding disc to sneak up on srcibe lines, dusty mind you, best done outside, with the obvious PPE precautions.

HOJ":7q8zemo2 said:
I use a 4" angle grinder with a flap type sanding disc to sneak up on srcibe lines, dusty mind you, best done outside, with the obvious PPE precautions.

Yep, an angle grinder with a flap disc, or a belt sander (using the front roller to follow the pencil line) will do it if you're taking the power tool approach, otherwise it's a combination of spokeshave, rasp and sandpaper wrapped around a piece of scrap.

Or if you have a good sharp axe then use that to remove most of the material. With a bit of practice an axe can be surprisingly precise.

Mark

Back