Workshop wall storage boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
Nothing particularly special or ground-breaking here, but posting in the hope it's useful to someone.

To mount tools on the walls of my garage I use the IKEA METOD rail system; designed for kitchens:

01.jpg

Wider view over the top of my wood turning lathe:

02.jpg

IKEA supply hooks that go on the rear of cabinets, but you can actually just flip an off cut of the rail instead, and bolt it to a board - as long as you have bolts with very thin heads:

03.jpg

You do need to cut some material from the top of the flipped over rail for it to "mate" correctly with the wall rail (it's pretty obvious what you need to remove if you try to put two pieces together):

04.jpg

Fitted to the rear of a plywood board. The board has a pine "frame", which juts out behind the board so that it contacts the wall (all except for the top region, as it would foul the wall rail):

05.jpg

On the bottom of that board I have a shelf of pine, with various size/shaped cut-outs for lathe tools:

06.jpg

07.jpg

For hanging items with round parts, dowels with a section drilled out works well:

08.jpg

The whole board mounted to the wall:

09.jpg

I have a number of other boards; with more dowels for hammers and verniers, a small shelf for a sliding square, and a rack/shelf for chisels:

10.jpg

I'm in the process of adding storage for my metal lathe. The main storage area will be a wide shelf with a lip, on which I'll put all the quick change holders and tools. There's also a block with holes for morse taper chucks and boring heads. I'll later add other storage to that board but I'll do that once I've got a better idea what will work best:

11.jpg

Thanks. It works really well; you can see from some of the photos that there are other "non board" things using the same system; such as storage for screws, and also a hanger for the base of a small metal cutting bandsaw. I've even got a pair of loudspeakers hung the same way.

Another advantage is that you can slide items sideways, so you're not completely fixed with your locations, and indeed I moved the screw storage from one wall to another recently.

Back