Fitting a smaller door frame in a larger opening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a door opening of 920mm (give our take). I was originally going to go for a 838mm door (so frame size needed was 926, would needed to have shaved some off the frame but it should have fit) anyway after looking at a few doors we are going to go for a 762mm door instead as the 838 seemed to large.

So the new frame is now 850mm, can I pack the door out the needed 76mm odd, would I just have to run like a stud and say a bit of 3/4 ply in against one of the sides to build up the difference. Or should I just go back to the original door size as I suppose no one moaned at having a door that was too big
Cheers
Mark

Main Entrance doors, are best a larger size to make life so much easier when changing any furniture items inside.
Front entrance doors are nomally 838mm, and rear doors too now I believe, but were recently 6'8"x 2'8",
You will probably be very glad for the extra width, quite soon!
Your'e 762mm, or 2'6" outside door, allowing for the "leaf" at 90 degrees and door stop will reduce the actual clear opening to around 720mm, or 28"and the lever lock, or knob protruding,may reduce this even more.
Short answer, go for the standard, larger size, or you will likely regret it!
Regards Rodders

yeah thats what I was thinking really rod. I think i will take the door frame back and get the one for the 838mm door.

cheers
Mark

blackrodd":m62u32ig said:
Main Entrance doors, are best a larger size to make life so much easier when changing any furniture items inside.
Front entrance doors are nomally 838mm, and rear doors too now I believe, but were recently 6'8"x 2'8",
Your'e 762mm, or 2'6" outside door, allowing for the "leaf" at 90 degrees and door stop will reduce the actual clear opening to around 720mm, or 28"and the lever lock, or knob protruding,may reduce this even more.
Regards Rodders

wot he says lol :lol:

RogerBoyle":3bbnsm26 said:
blackrodd":3bbnsm26 said:
Regards Rodders

wot he says lol :lol:

Yep, plus another for that or you'll end up taking doors off to get stuff through. Been there, done that and it's a real pita

So took the frame back but they never had the larger one in stock so off to another shop later to see if they have one. But i did buy the door anyway. nice oak lump. bit more than the original door we was looking at but the misses likes this one more and I have to admit so do I.

Cheers for the input people

Mark

Hey all,
So the frame I bought is to fit a 926 opening but mine is 920. I plan to cut 5mm off each side would that be enough to allow me to level up or should I go for like 8mm.
Cheers
Mark

First thing, check the floor for level in the door opening, and make any allowances otherwise you could allow the head to be out of level, and square with the frame stiles too!
I personally don't leave gaps, Poncin' around, packing and folding wedges, bits of dpc etc, etc in door openings.
I stud out and have everything nice and plumb using the best , straight stock, I line the door frame or lining with dpc,
thereby isolating any potential wall or frame/door lining problems from each other, the same with windows.
And just stud the other side "snug", plumb and fix the hanging stile, "bone up" the striking stile and fix.
Any bowed or bent door frames are obviously rejected
So in this instance, check the plumb of the hanging stile with a straight edge and level, I would expect to take off 3, or 4 mm a side, ( cut a 920 spacer and check the opening top to bottom).
Regards Rodders

Hi ros thanks lot. Should have some WIP pics uplater if all goes to plan haha. Did wanna start first thing today but one of the kids decided she wanted to take a fall and turn the into a broken elbow. So first thing today is off to the fracture clinic to see what's what.

Cheers
Mark

blackrodd":2s1rk0rt said:
Regards Rodders

+1

Another good reason for wider doors is for wheelchair access. I don't know if its a Part M rule or not, but a wider opening could be really useful for any disabled relatives or visitors, and if not for yourself, for a future purchaser of the house.

+1 for widest doors possible, moving a big cooker or american style fridge through a small door is no fun at all!!

Back