Fitting a leg vice. Any advice appreciated.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I'm closing in on the stage where I need to start fitting bits together on the everlasting bench build. My first ever oak dowel turned up today...
After looking at various mad options like splined rod replacing a parallel guide and other assorted madness, I've seen sense and realised if it aint broke don't fix it. I'm young enough to bend down a move a pin.
The leg vice blank is planed up and cut to size apart from the final height cut.
So I've been looking at a couple of sources for vice screws. Axminster seem to be permanently sold out of the York ones, which seem to be the same as the ones not marketed as York sold by Fine Tools and also available by Tyzack. All for different prices of course. These ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/York-Tail-Vic ... 3641.l6368
So far so good. I can fit the bigger of the two on the bench.
But heres the rub. The smaller screw has a 24mm thread. I have a 25mm bit. Would a 1mm clearance be enough through the leg vice and indeed the 4" leg for the thread?
I'd like the bigger screw which has a 28 mm thread and I could get a bit at 29 or 30mm to get round it. Would people recommend a bigger clearance or would that be ok.
(I wondered if beeswax might help. Bit temporary?)

The other thing I've seen on some of the bench masterclasses made on here is the rollers/guides for the parallel guide. Any ideas? I can see the advantages with being able to adjust, I'm guessing you have to make them up yourself.

Lastly, I could go with the tommy bar for the vice. But sad as it might be to some, I'd really like to put a cast wheel on the thread instead. Shiny! Yeh, I'm probably shallow. But there you go.

Would anyone be interested in taking on the job? Serious offer. I'd send you the cast wheel and thread, you do the necessary to join them. No favours on this one. I'd pay all postage and an agreed price for someone to do it nicely as a job of work. If anyone is interested please feel free to pm on this one.

Although the fitting of the everlasting bench is far from done, I've enjoyed it and been frustrated in equal measure so far. I'm striving for a perfection I'm not really capable of yet. That's alright, it's the learning I find enjoyable. And when I look back, I've learned a fair bit.
Trying to be flexible. The thought of cutting a perfect 45 degree angle on the long stretcher for the deadman was a bit daunting without a table saw, so I'm going to rout a channel. I have that Chris Schwarz book and he says cutting a channel just collects dust and shavings so I'm compromising and thinking I''ll cut a little channel into the channel so I can brush all that malarkey out. Who needs plans?!? :shock:
When it goes right it's lovely. Easter Weekend is nearly here, I might squeeze a day or two down the shed. Actually making the thing hasn't taken that long, its been all the bits in-between. Making the cramps out of box section, buying an old manual pillar drill then cleaning that up, learning about tools then relearning (ad infinitum) and by sheer luck and the Grace of God discovering the only right way to sharpen stuff that has taken the time.

(Just kidding about the sharpening :D )

As always, any advice will be gratefully and truly appreciated.

Regards as always
Chris

Hi Chris.. do you know anyone with a metalwork lathe? If so it should take you 1/2 hr 45mins to turn down the lead screw & mount the handwheel yourself. Be careful, it might just take you down another path.

Any photo's?

Togs

Thanks for the replies.
Togs, no I'm afraid not. I can the fascination with machining metal so I keep it a distance like gambling and heroin. I have enough problems and not enough time for them as it is. I popped in to see a local welder the other day about doing the wheel and he wasn't convinced tbh. More trouble than its worth for him I think and I can't blame him. I might need to find a little machine shop instead if I can.
I'd be embarrassed to do a WIP to be honest. If it turns out well, maybe I could do a little 'post' one for people like me starting out. Might someone help to learn off all my mistakes. I have lots of pics though. More for my own record than posting somewhere that has seen the likes of Condestesso and many other's sublime benches.
Here's some more recent ones though. (Just in case, you understand :D )

Leg Vice
3d8vIxP.jpg

Cheating on the tenons 1
ugPFMys.jpg

C.O.Ts 2
aSe5IqC.jpg

C.O.Ts 3
dI4LtrB.jpg

The exact point when I realised I should have scribed and marked the final joints before cutting the waste out with a circular saw.... Nevermind. #-o I'll chisel and plane it to clean up the cuts. My faith in my chisel skills being far stronger than my ability to saw the tenons accurately.

C.O.Ts 4
yex3GFP.jpg

Shhh. Tucked up for bed.
ZglmacN.jpg

You can see my love of a religiously tidy shed lol.. :oops:

Hoj. Thanks. I was thinking about the veritas screw too.

Bm101":nclegu94 said:
Lastly, I could go with the tommy bar for the vice. But sad as it might be to some, I'd really like to put a cast wheel on the thread instead. Shiny! Yeh, I'm probably shallow. But there you go.

Would anyone be interested in taking on the job? Serious offer. I'd send you the cast wheel and thread, you do the necessary to join them.
Had you considered epoxy Chris?

Kind of. A bit. Really and truly it's one of those jobs I'd rather just pay for and it be done properly. I was kind of hoping someone on here would take it on. I can understand why not tbh. The faff. But the last thing I wanted to do was have something else to bodge together and play a guessing game with ED. I think I'll try and hunt down a local fella who can do it for me. It's a job I don't need to be honest. If all else fails I'll call it a day and go with the tommy bar. It's not the end of the world. Just something I fancied. The bench has become a bit of a rite of passage in my head and taken on more significance than it probably should. A workbench is a workbench is a workbench. Right? But this has become my version of an apprentices toolbox. More fool me in some ways. In other ways I wouldn't have it any other way. It's become my learning curve and my datum all in one if that makes any sense.

Cheers
Chris

I know exactly what you mean about posting pics of your work.. & of getting into something else. I sometimes wish I could say no.

Perhaps ask on the metalwork forum for help. It isn't a big job (if I have done it then anyone with the machinery can). My lathe isn't set up yet & won't accept a bar past the chuck like the lathe I used which means a trickier set up I guess.. perhaps that's the issue, machining the end of a long piece is tricky. Does the handwheel need a keyed shaft ?

Your bench looks promising so far... a Roubo style one ?

I was thinking the same but am perhaps going for a mix n match of styles as I'll use what's at hand (a few beech table tops, a big beam of Jarrah. oak & Larch).

I am able to do it in principle, as I have a fixed steady. But my lathe is currently off for a regrind and will not be back in action for at least four weeks. If you still need help then, let me know, I'll be keen to play with it!

@Togs. Yeh it's a Roubo bench. Kind of. I took the plans from the Schwarz book. I'm adapting them as I learn lol. I don't know if it needs to be keyed judging on the experience of others who have posted similar before me. Most haven't had keyways as far as I can see. I'm not sure a leg vice in general practice would be that demanding. Simple answer is that I don't know.
Thanks for the interest btw!

@Musicman. I appreciate your help. The time factor wouldn't be an issue. Was chatting to a mate today and he suggested buying the veritas screw so I know what I'm dealing with. He mentioned that with the dimensions of the end of the screw with the tommy bar handle gone it was possible that I might find the same inside diameter on the wheel and then try to interference fit it. File it judiciously and smack it with a hammer then secure with a grub screw and/ or some epoxy as per ED's input. If that doesn't work I'd be very grateful if you would take the job on. Let me know what you think. I'm always open to learning from those more experienced of course.

Cheers guys.
Regards as always
Chris

Bm101":2df070k2 said:
I don't know if it needs to be keyed judging on the experience of others who have posted similar before me. Most haven't had keyways as far as I can see.

For what it's worth, the handwheel on my leg vice is a sliding fit on the shaft. It's held in place by a single grub screw. Every six months or so I have to nip up the grub screw, but otherwise it holds up fine.

Thanks Dave. That's worth knowing. Much appreciated. I've bought the veritas screw from Axminster (and the Tommy bar just in case...) when it turns up I'll take a look at wheels. Got a 30mm auger for fitting. The frame is 90 mm square so it works out well for the mortices. In theory. :D Roll on the long weekend and no work for once.

I doubt that a keyed shaft is required as these are usually reserved for machine shaft to deal with power and torque effects.
If it were me I would go with the grub screw as already mentioned or a hardened pin/dowel.
You've probably spent more time thinking about doing it than it will actually take to do. :)

Bm101":1ca4lyaw said:
@Togs. Yeh it's a Roubo bench. Kind of. I took the plans from the Schwarz book. I'm adapting them as I learn lol. I don't know if it needs to be keyed judging on the experience of others who have posted similar before me. Most haven't had keyways as far as I can see. I'm not sure a leg vice in general practice would be that demanding. Simple answer is that I don't know.
Thanks for the interest btw!

@Musicman. I appreciate your help. The time factor wouldn't be an issue. Was chatting to a mate today and he suggested buying the veritas screw so I know what I'm dealing with. He mentioned that with the dimensions of the end of the screw with the tommy bar handle gone it was possible that I might find the same inside diameter on the wheel and then try to interference fit it. File it judiciously and smack it with a hammer then secure with a grub screw and/ or some epoxy as per ED's input. If that doesn't work I'd be very grateful if you would take the job on. Let me know what you think. I'm always open to learning from those more experienced of course.

Cheers guys.
Regards as always
Chris

Fine. Yes I think a grub screw would work. Anyway, I'll wait to hear from you if you have problems.

Best wishes

Keith

Thanks again guys. Much appreciated as always.

Roughcut , you made me laugh. You're SO right it's scary. Most of the time I'm alright. I just crack on. Every now and again I forget and try to OCD everything before hand. That's when it all goes **** up or as you say spend more time planning it than actually just getting on with it. I like things to be just so. To a fault sometimes. Fair point.

Keith, thanks again. Appreciate your patience.

Small update for current/future leg vice searchers really. Veritas screw arrived this Avo. Its a hefty bit of kit. Seems well made. The head is kept on with a bit of rolled steel not a pin so it should be pretty easy to knock out. No time today but quick look and I'd guess the bore on the screw is 20mm. For a 200 mm OD cast iron wheel, round internal bore at 20 mm Berger tools are looking at £30 quid. With the handle its another £7 quid. So all in all best part of £60 although you could do the wheel cheaper. Anyway, might help someone.

Cheers
Chris

Back