First Workshop build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bremner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello chaps,

I've been away from the forums for a while, after getting married the wifes health took a bit of a nose dive and everything went on the back burner but things are kind of under control now and after working my nads off for the past 4 months I've saved up enough reddies to be able to build the basics of my first ever workshop.

After reading a lot of stuff online, especially on here, I've decided on a size of 4.8m x 3.6m and the pitched roof being 3m at its highest point (or 16' x 12' and 10' high in old money) I think this will give me a decent space to work in and enough storage space for any additions to my ever growing collection of tools.
As it stands now I have to work outside when I have a project and this is less than ideal and obviously dependant on weather so this is going to be a dream come true for me. I'm planning on getting the basic shell done before Christmas and the worst of the weather hits and then plodding on with doors, windows, electrics, insulation, plaster boarding and then actually fitting it out with shelving, worktops, units, benches etc.

workshop_plan_copy.jpg

Above is a quick and dirty plan, I don't think its worth the trouble to design it in sketch up for what is basically a box with three holes and a roof. The floor is made from 7"x2"'s and topped with 18mm OSB, all the walls and roof trusses were made from 3"x2" with 11mm OSB on the roof and everything wrapped in Tyvek breather membrane. I will be putting some of the off-cuts of the OSB

I was hoping somebody can give me some advice about cladding and roofing materials. I have pretty much decided on a EPDM rubber membrane to cover the roof, I came to this conclusion because I don't think budget shed felt would be up to the task and it wouldn't last long, premium shed felt only comes in 8m long rolls which means I'd only get one length per roll and have 3m waste per roll, felt shingles seem expensive and look a faff to install. The EPDM rubber membrane is basically a pond liner, the benefit is it would be one big piece and from what I've read very UV resistant. I was planning on sticking it directly to the OSB with adhesive and then stapling to the underside, does anybody have any thoughts on the materials and my methods?
As far as the cladding goes I was going to use 16mm - 19mm shiplap/T&G (which ever I can get cheapest) and screw it through the breather membrane directly into the 3"x2" I was toying with the idea of cladding the whole outside with 11mm OSB then breather membrane then the cladding but thats and extra £150+ and I'm trying to do this as 'cost effective' as possible (on the cheap) do you think its worth it bearing in mind I'll be insulating and cladding the inside with plasterboard.

Well guys I'll try and keep this updated with plenty of pics and I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions, thanks for looking.

Sounds like a great plan, good luck with it .

I have a similar sized shed that i am looking to convert its full of rubbish right now but after christmas i will be emptying it out then fitting it out .

Keep the pics and updates coming please.

Steve

Bit of a quick update and a I could do with some suggestions. As above I intended to clad the outside with timber cladding but I've just had a quick ring around and a quick look online and I'm shocked at what it might end up costing me.
Does anybody have any suggestions for cladding material? I had a very quick look at PVC but that seems to be expensive as well. I need to cover 42 square metres and the way I've been working that out to linear metres is I've been dividing the area by the height of the cladding e.g 42 / 0.12 = 350 (assuming the cladding is 120mm after the overlap) am I working it out right?

Bremner":3keu399a said:
Bit of a quick update and a I could do with some suggestions. As above I intended to clad the outside with timber cladding but I've just had a quick ring around and a quick look online and I'm shocked at what it might end up costing me.
Does anybody have any suggestions for cladding material? I had a very quick look at PVC but that seems to be expensive as well. I need to cover 42 square metres and the way I've been working that out to linear metres is I've been dividing the area by the height of the cladding e.g 42 / 0.12 = 350 (assuming the cladding is 120mm after the overlap) am I working it out right?
I know it is not easy but try and think "long term",,what you spend early on could last
longer than a cheaper immediate solution,, trust me I have done it,, (the cheaper solution, that is))_

The Bear":19v1ii0s said:
Feather edge will be cheaper than ship lap or t and g

Mark

Thanks for the idea I'll get a couple of prices.

joethedrummer":19v1ii0s said:
I know it is not easy but try and think "long term",,what you spend early on could last longer than a cheaper immediate solution,, trust me I have done it,,

I know what your saying, I was just under the impression it would be cheaper (plus any money I have left over goes towards a new table saw :p )

Good quality T & G cladding can be expensive I was quoted £2/m. I used rough sawn treated timber 150mm x 50mm (60p/m) in a board and batten construction . I didnt go for a pitched roof just a flat roof with permaroof metal sheeting. The flat roof made for easier construction and insulation.

I used feather edge on my 12m x 12m shed, it was cheaper and I prefer the look of it. just make sure you do a decent overlap.

jack55":3ne1v0ta said:
Good quality T & G cladding can be expensive I was quoted £2/m. I used rough sawn treated timber 150mm x 50mm (60p/m) in a board and batten construction . I didnt go for a pitched roof just a flat roof with permaroof metal sheeting. The flat roof made for easier construction and insulation.

I'll price up for board and batten to compare, I can't seem to find some prices for metal sheet roofing, I just wanted a rough square metre price.

nathandavies":3ne1v0ta said:
I used feather edge on my 12m x 12m shed, it was cheaper and I prefer the look of it. just make sure you do a decent overlap.

It does look good, what would you call a decent overlap, 25mm?

Grayorm":3ne1v0ta said:
Are you aware of the planning limitations?

From what I've read I'm ok as long as it's 1m away from boundaries, or have I missed something?

There's a height limitation too. 2.4M I think. Also a limit to the square meterage as a percentage of your gardens.

Grayorm":300ttu47 said:
There's a height limitation too. 2.4M I think. Also a limit to the square meterage as a percentage of your gardens.

Thanks for the warning, I double checked and according to the planning portal I'm ok as long as I don't sleep in it, so it will have to be the couch if I fall out with the wife.. . .

Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
If the floor area of the building is between 15m2 and 30m2, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval provided that the building has NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least 1m from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non combustable material.

As far as the percentage goes its no more than 50% so thats fine as well.

Cheers

Agree that featherboard will likely be your best bet for the cladding. It’s quick and easy to put up and reasonably priced. This is a garden studio I built for the wife and the boarding is 25/12mm thick, 200mm wide installed with a 40mm overlap. It came from a local farm supplier who sells it for making mostly stables and field shelters. I have also used it for garages/vehicle shelters.

The roofing here is fibre cement slates.

IMG_4.jpg

Don't forget to insulate your floor.
Good luck.
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 2,139
Excellent! Change the chair for a rocker and i wouldn't go in the house, unless, of course, it was just------bigger.
Regards Rodders

Few things.
11mm osb is to thin for roof covering unless you're going for garden shed felt and don't mind sagging. Edpm needs 18mm osb/ply supported at 600mm max rafter spacing. Excellent roof covering.
Are you making webbed truss? otherwise 3x2 aren't big enough.
Watch out for the reg that stipulates boundary distance for combustible building over 15 sq.m, which yours is.

I know it is not easy but try and think "long term",,what you spend early on could last
longer than a cheaper immediate solution,, trust me I have done it,, (the cheaper solution, that is))_[/quote]

+1 for what Joe said, try to get the best materials that you can, it will cost a lot more to try and put things right in years to come and it can be a right pita to do as well damhikt :roll: .

Please do post lots of pics when you do start your build,its always good to see the before -during and after pics :)

what about insulation

go for 4 x 2 instead 3 x2 as should ideally have an air gap

3 x 2 will only give u 50mm insulation

4 x 2 will give 75mm

more money but may save in the long run

Back