First Turning for a While

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haldane

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been building new shed most of last year, now its nearly finished and usable have been having fun for first time in ages.
Went to shed this morning not sure what I wanted to make, picked up Woodturning magazine and saw Mark Sanger's wonderful lidded form with finial and used it for inspiration as I had some yew in the shop.

013.jpg

015.jpg

Roughed out the basic shape there were a couple of large splits in the wood that you can't see in the photos so not wanting to start again I filled them with thin superglue and carried on.

017.jpg

Always had difficulty with hollowing can never seem to get walls even thickness or smooth on the inside. But this was the best i've done it went very easy and I managed to get uniform thickness of about 8mm I would have liked to get it down to 5-6mm but didn't want to push my luck!
It was at this point I noticed a lot more splits/checks in the wood and nearly gave up, decided to press thinking it would be good practice if nothing else

016.jpg

The two tools used to do the hollowing

018.jpg

Tided up, sanded and finish applied (mix of beeswax and liquid paraffin I melted together to make paste goes on easily I quite like the matt finish it gives)

019.jpg

020.jpg

Parted off reversed and jam chucked to in put some detail, sand and finish the bottom

025.jpg

Started turning the finial from a scrap piece of purple heart (did intend to use some kingwood I have but decided to save that as the form has so many splits/shakes in it)

026.jpg

027.jpg

Nearly finished the finial

029.jpg

make this chuck last year from a piece of scrap wood and an 80p jubile clip after seeing in one Robert Chapman's books

030.jpg

tidied up, sanded and put a bit of decoration in the base of the final

032.jpg

finished item. Quite pleased with it maybe should have made the finial a little more slender.
Enjoyed making something for a change don't know how long till it ends up as firewood it already has more cracks in it than the pavement outside the house :oops:

Dave

I think that is an excellent resumption and worthy of praise.

Well Done.

Brendan

The lay-off certainly has not diminished your ability or technique Haldane, if that's a 'starter for 10' as they say then the future's looking good.

Great piece.

Lovely looking piece Dave :D
Looks a nice shape and well finished form.
Not so keen on the shape of the finial as you say might look better a little thinner.
Keep em coming :D

Very nice !

And i'll be stealing that jubileeclup chuck idea if you dont mind for the small work. !

Loz

Latest posts

Back