First small piece: A walnut & azobe box - COMPLETED!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would post up some pictures of a small piece I made this week. Its just a small box that i made from some offcuts I had, and I did it as a kind of practice project, i made the design up pretty much as I went along, to suit the bits that I had, rather than carefully planning a piece of design. I wanted to see what I could do, bearing in mind i am new to this kind of work and figured I could learn some useful lessons along the way ( which i did!) It took me about 7 hours to make. It has beech miter keys and the inset lid panel and legs are of African azobe.

This coming weekend, my father in law , who is a restorer, is coming over to teach me a little bit about french polishing, which we will do on the box, so i will post up some pictures of the nice shiny end rsult ( I hope!) then.

sunday007.jpg

sunday008.jpg

sunday009.jpg

sunday010.jpg

sunday011.jpg

I have to say, I rather like box making, they dont take long, are easy to work on, have scope for plenty of technically challenging details and make good gifts!! I think I will be making some more!

My only reservation about the piece is that it looks a bit like a cremation urn.....

Hope you like it, critique and comments welcome.

Cheers, Mark

markturner":18ux1o86 said:
... they dont take long, are easy to work on, have scope for plenty of technically challenging details

Cheers, Mark
I'd take issue with that statement :lol: There can be as much technically challenging work (never mind details) in a small box as a much bigger project, you only have to look at some of Robert Ingham's or Andrew Crawford's boxes to figure that one out. The one shown here, with the mitre keys is relatively quick and fairly straight forward...they can be much, much more complicted - Rob

I like this design although there is still a lot of finishing to do, you will find that putting the finishing touches to a box like this one can take as long as the work done so far.
I totally agree with Rob's statement that a box can be very challenging, I am a big fan of Peter Lloyd's work and maybe one day I will be half as good as he is.

Thanks guys, I think you have misread what I wrote - I meant exactly what you said Rob! I said they have scope for plenty of technically challenging details as well as being easy if you want, although when I said "easy to work on" I was meaning from a scale point of view, the bits are small, it all fits on the bench easily etc. Not like making some huge table or cabinet. And because they are small everything like the sanding and finishing is quicker too.

Martin, what do you suggest for the finishing? my wife thinks it should have a hinged lid. Any ideas welcome!

Hi Mark, I don't think hinges would be the right option for this box, maybe a handle on the top face of the lid.

As for the finish, after you have got rid of every tiny scratch which will be greatly enhanced once the finish is applied, I would Oil then wax.

Don't forget the photo's

Looks great and look forward to seeing more of your projects in the near future.

Small does not necessarily mean quick, there can be many pieces, its just a manner of scale.

markturner":rwlm3x0q said:
Thanks guys, I think you have misread what I wrote - I meant exactly what you said Rob! I said they have scope for plenty of technically challenging details as well as being easy if you want, although when I said "easy to work on" I was meaning from a scale point of view, the bits are small, it all fits on the bench easily etc. Not like making some huge table or cabinet. And because they are small everything like the sanding and finishing is quicker too.

Martin, what do you suggest for the finishing? my wife thinks it should have a hinged lid. Any ideas welcome!
I see your drift now Mark. For a finish there are a number of options, I like Osmo-PolyX hardwax oil but a suitable finishing oil like Liberon is also good for this sort of work. As to the hinging, if it's been designed to have a lid that simply lifts off, it's probly better left like that, but then again, it depends on how much you value SWIMBO's 'judgement' :-" :-" :mrgreen: - Rob

OK, somewhat belatedly and having dismissed the missus's idea of hinges, its finished, I used french polish and found a nice amber coloured knob for the top. The only thing left to do is stick a nice piece of nappa leather to the underside of the lid, so it does not scratch when you put it down.

I am really pleased with it.

sunday027.jpg

sunday025.jpg

sunday024.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers, Mark

Good effort, interesting design and some nice grained pieces of timber in there. Look forward to seeing your next piece

Am I allowed to say that I'm not that keen on your Knob? :shock:
It doesn't seem to 'fit in' with the rest of the piece to me.

Dude its a free country, you can say what you like about my knob..... :D :D seriously though, the wife chose it, I thought the colour matched nicely, and the scale is good etc, but I was also considering a wooden handle of some sort. Open to suggestions?

studders":mu18gkof said:
Am I allowed to say that I'm not that keen on your Knob? :shock:
It doesn't seem to 'fit in' with the rest of the piece to me.
I'm with 'studders' here, but if SWIMBO chose it, common sense will dictate that it stays :lol: - Rob

Latest posts

Back