First Proper Woodwork in Ages!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkljosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Been in my new location for a few months and buried with lots of renovation work. However, I finally managed to break my tools out of the packing boxes to do some "proper" woodwork, instead of chippying. I was going to do a WIP, but I got so enthused by generating shavings I failed to take any photos as I went along - sorry about that. Any how, I've yet to set up a proper workshop here and all my machine tools remain in storage. Had to lash up a temporary bench using stuff left behind by the previous owners - an old door + some decking timber supplemented by a sheet of 18mm mdf and a york machine screw I plundered from my old bench. Not particularly elegant, but it does the job.

Image00017.jpg

Renovations have culminated in decorating a couple of bedrooms, in one of which which was a rather inconveniently sited electricity meter and CU, housed in an ugly chipboard box.

Image00003.jpg

Thinking I might be able to do a bit better, I dropped in on Mike at Crocadon Sawmill near Saltash while I was visiting Mum and picked up a few lengths of 20mm oak. It pains me to by prepared timber, but needs must. For anyone in the southwest who needs some nice hardwood I'd recommend you check out the mill. But I digress. I decided that it would be a good exercise to get back into some hand tool work (hand cut dovetails are a bit over the top for the cabinet perhaps) as well as an opportunity to christen a couple of purchases from different members here - a plano press and domino jointer - solid panel for the door and simple face frame from each respectively.

The plane panel door lacked a bit of interest, so I routed a series of v grooves down it's length, as well as planing chamfers on the periphery. Used an off cut with pretty figure and a sharp block plane to generate a pull and hey presto some camoflauge for the chipboard monstrosity.

Image00002.jpg

Image00006.jpg

As it's not going to see a lot of wear and tear, I simply finished it with some Liberon beeswax polish, which buffed to a soft sheen and brought out the grain nicely.

For completeness a couple of other detail shots - I set out to fit the dovetails "straight from the saw" which was probably too big an ask after nearly 2 years away from the bench, so there was a bit of paring necessary, and the fit isn't perfect, but as highlighted in the dovetailing thread the other day - they are good enough and will only improve by repetition.

Image00029.jpg

Image00013.jpg

More paring involved in fitting some nice brass hinges - apologies to the purists, but I didn't have any slotted brass screws, so "made do" with some pozi goldscrews from my diy supplies.

Image00022.jpg

And finally an image of what I think is a rather pretty (because of the grain) hand made pull:

Image00026.jpg

So there you have it, not a work in progress as such, nor indeed a work of art, but some functional woodwork that hopefully will be of interest.

More to follow as I get better sorted here

Cheers

John

Attachments

• Image00017.jpg
    Image00017.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Image00029.jpg
    Image00029.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Image00013.jpg
    Image00013.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Image00022.jpg
    Image00022.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Image00026.jpg
    Image00026.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 1,133
Very Nicely done, But perhaps you ought to at least paint the inside as it would be rather a disappointment on opening such a splendid oak door to find just a load of 'lectric stuff!
Regards Rodders

Good point well made, I've kinda tripped out on painting overload following other works, but undoubtedly you're right - I'll get on it tomorrow :wink:
J

Back