First Project: Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielb

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first project and was a rushed job like a lot of things I do. It’s a basic cheap workbench. Its nothing like the quality workbenches you all make but hey oh, it does the job fine. Plus it was a first time using some of the tools so a learning curve.
workben.jpg

workben2.jpg

Attachments

• workben.jpg
    workben.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 1,220
  • workben2.jpg
    workben2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 1,220
That does look sturdier and probably more rigid than any of the "cheap" workbenches that are available commercially. That MDF surface will certainly be very useful for assembly work, among many other things. Have you thought about adding dog holes for work-holding and clamping capabilities? Now, you'll wonder how you ever got by without a workbench! ;-)

OPJ":2bg2eho9 said:
That does look sturdier and probably more rigid than any of the "cheap" workbenches that are available commercially. That MDF surface will certainly be very useful for assembly work, among many other things. Have you thought about adding dog holes for work-holding and clamping capabilities? Now, you'll wonder how you ever got by without a workbench! ;-)

Yes I’m considering dog holes and also a shelf or storage unit. It also cost under £100s to make so much cheaper than ones from the shops and also saves my back any pain being a good working height.

nowt wrong with that bench, a couple o doors and sides and a back and it will make it real solid. well done.

Looks fine to me. Legs are thick enough and braced, coach bolts and angle brackets used, Im sure its just as sturdy as mine.

Also I agree on making a cupboard out of it, I have been planing a draw, shelfs and a cupboard for mine for some time now (im seem to do alot of planning for myself but a lot of doing for others).

Another thing you could try is putting a good fitting bottom shelf on the bottom wooden braces and that would not only make it more ridget and more stable and less prone to vibration also lower the amount it may be able to trist.
Thanks Tim

Looks good to me.
I reckon it will last you a long while. In fact you might never really need another unless you go into building bigger pieces.

Best of luck with it.
Regards
John

Back