first project finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedereco

Established Member
Reaction score
this is my first project I've done in terms of furniture . its a small coffee table but i think its turned out ok. I bought a damaged box of t&g 19mm oak flooring from b&q for £10.

the top is t&g together edging and legs are biscuit jointed the top frame i half lapped and screwed and the frame is screwed through the bottom into the top. i left oversize holes to allow for movement.

Hi Ged and welcome.

Assuming you didn't glue the tongues and grooves, did you apply finish to them before you assembled the top?

If you didn't you will find out why I ask after a few seasons, when the joints open a little.

Nice going for a first project. I hope you enjoy many 'sofa-meals' in front of the telly!

Regards
John :)

Hi no the t&g is floating with 3 braces underneath with over sized holes for movement. the t&g was already sealed i just sanded and sanded the top back to bare wood and put a wipe on poly 3 coats to get finish . God my trouble and strife would have a fit if i'd eaten of it . it's for a lamp to go in, so i've been told. :lol:

A good furniture project to start with, the problem I have found looking back is that when younger its difficult to find the time to make furniture and when you are older and retired you dont need the furniture you've already got it all.

That's true to a point DW. Except in my case SWIMBO has decided that most of my forty-odd year old 'starter efforts' are getting past it, and it's time for replacements.

In the case of the dining chairs, I'd agree. I am sick of repairing the mortices and tenons and I have twice replaced the seats and backs. :(
John :)

Nice table gedereco. I particularly like the way you've used the (bargain priced) tng for the top.

the hole unit is made out of ripped flooring not just the top . just got another 2 packs damaged same price . the only damage i've found is one 300mm piece has a slight split in so now i've got 2 radiator covers to build has anyone built any to give me some design idea's. :D

for a tenner and about 3 hours work (saturday no rush). i am happy with the way it turned out . i think next project i'll make of oak flooring i will just finish it with danish oil. anyone used bamboo for any projects. :D

Back