Pre-cat lacquer for a table top?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just stared a side project, a dining table.
I’ve been using pre-cat for a long time on furniture, but wondering if it’s durable enough for a table top?
I want the wood grain to be enhanced as much as possible, and the top coat to be natural looking and obviously durable.
Is pre cat ok for this? Or does anyone recommend anything else?
Many thanks

I’ve been using pre-cat for a long time on furniture, but wondering if it’s durable enough for a table top?
Yes. I've finished many a dining table with pre-cat, and so have dozens of other makers. It's like every other finish having pros and cons. Pros, for example, are speed of application and decent durability. Cons include damage to the film leads to ingress of liquids to the wood below and possible consequences of that, plus repairs to such damage aren't always simple, sometimes requiring chemical stripping of the whole and refinishing with a spray gun.

Of course, you could apply any number of other finishes, but each type has its own properties, including strengths and weaknesses, or pros and cons. That's a discussion I'm not going to get involved with in this thread preferring to respond to your specific question. Slainte.

Last edited:
Yes. I've finished many a dining table with pre-cat, and so have dozens of other makers. It's like every other finish having pros and cons. A pros are speed of application and decent durability. Cons include damage to the film leads to ingress of liquids to the wood below and possible consequences of that, plus repairs to such damage aren't always simple, sometimes requiring chemical stripping of the whole and refinishing with a spray gun.

Of course, you could apply any number of other finishes, but each type has their own properties, including strengths and weaknesses, or pros and cons. That's a discussion I'm not going to get involved with in this thread preferring to respond to your specific question. Slainte.
Ok thanks a lot, this helps.
I guess now I’ve got to play around with gloss or Matt, and stains, to get as natural finish as possible.

Are we dealing with acid catalysed or 2K?Either will give a very durable finish and be much more resistant to spillage than the more traditional finishes.As an experienced user you will understand the importance of good extraction.

The original post specified Pre-Cat not two pack (which is another ball game). I have used pre-cat extensively on desks and tables. Indeed my computer desk was finished that way and still looks OK, almost twenty years later. To give a more natural finish use Satin Pre-Cat and once hardened rub down with a fine grade scotch brite pad (the type made for sanding, not cleaning!), then wax polish to finish. This gives a softer and more natural look.

Back