First post and some workbench advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haggisbasher

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
I am a noob who having recently gained a garage is looking to start putting together a shop. I am currently working my way through the back posts but I am looking for some quick advice.

I am looking to put together a mobile workstation based on an article in Practical Woodworking last year. The original used a solid oak block worktop to form the top and skirt. I have a 2m offcut of 40mm worktop which i was intending to use with an Oak or beech skirt. and a sacrificial top. I would like some advice on the best material for the top Hardboard, mdff or other and how to fix it if at all.

I would also like some advice on vices and placement. I have read that for right handers the vice should be on the left end but the article shows it on the right is there a convention? can you have enough vices?

The bench has to do multiple duty- handwork, assembly and support some power tools

many thanks

Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. I find the most useful arrangement for vices (if you are right-handed) is to have one on the front at the left-hand end of the bench, like this

view
[/url][/img]

And one at the right-hand end of the bench, like this

view
[/url][/img]

If you buy vices with a built-in dog (mine are Record #52D), you can drill holes in the top of the bench for dogs which enable you to clamp work on the bench top between the dogs. I use the Veritas dogs like these

view
[/url][/img]

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Tom, like you I'm new to all this and am converting my garage, once I can find somewhere to put all the "stuff" I know the answer is to build storage but for that I need a garage etc etc. I'm not at the workbench stage yet and will probably buy a small wooden one end of this year or early next. At the moment my "workbench" for want of a better word is a door with 3 kitchen cupboards supporting it, :oops: giving a flat(ish) surface and storage. I'll be watching this for good ideas.

All in all they're a good bunch of people willing to help us newcomers........unlike some forums I've visited.

Good luck

Keith

There's an intriguing plan for a workbench on the FWW site :-

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ ... x?id=29507

The construction is based on laminated 3/4" plywood - to create the mortise/tenons you miss out bits of the lamination - seems ideal when you don't have much in the way of kit, it seems sturdy and may be cheaper than buying a bench

thanks all for the welcome

Keith I share your pain my friend at the moment I only actually command about a quarter of the garage and that must accommodate my motorbike too. I am slowly working on all fronts to win back space but its slow.

the main aim of the bench I chose to model my design on is to get all my stuff in one place and organised so that I can at least find everything. I am also thinking it will be on castors. I am aware of the drawbacks but the ability to wheel it out onto my drive would be very useful.

Kane that is a great link thanks

Paul thats great advice thanks, the article I am working from has holes drilled in the front skirt to accommodate the wonder pup and dogs which seems like a great idea to me, the pop up dog on the vice is a must I think. its an enclosed style of bench with nothing between the top and the storage so I am loath to drill lots of holes in the top but morticed bench stops should do the job.

heres a quick image of my sketchup model of the bench

Workbench.jpg

Thanks all

Hi Tom,

You have just been caught by our spam trap.
Here is you picture.
Workbench.jpg

It will not happen once you have a couple more posts to your name.

basic rule mate no matter how much space you have there is never enough room for all your tools :lol:

i have used an old ikea kitchen worktop. mine is made of those beech staves. otherwise try and by offies from a shed where you can get a decent length, maybe an odd colour, for a lot less than a whole sheet.

others use mdf so it can be replaced. and you can always use mdf to make the cabinet. it will be quick, easy and square, and then you can concentrate on getting your skills up to snuff.

paul :wink:

I would be tempted to not bother with an extra top over the existing kitchen worktop that you already have, just give it a couple of coats of oil and it should be robust enough to use for years before you need to think of replacing it. Also, a quick smooth over every couple of years will bring you back to a nice smooth surface. Its all preference at the end of the day. There's something nice abot working on a solid wood worktop as opposed to a sheet-material one, I feel you get more feedback from solid wood.

Either way, keep us updated with your progress.

Edit: doh! I just re-read your post, I don't believe you said your worktop was solid wood, in which case, just ignore everything I have said :) good luck mate!

thanks guys

sorry Byron I wasnt too clear the plan I am basing it on used a solid wood top but I have a laminate one sitting here so thought I could use it for weight and flatness and put a top on it.

I plan on making the frame out of redwood as well as I am able and then make the enclosure out of MDF or whatever else I can find/scrounge. I am sure that the insides will change and develop as my skills develop so not to precious about that and it would be nice to put a hardwood top on it at some point.

I will post pics as I go along but its probably going to take a while :)

going to get the redwood tomorrow whoopee

Latest posts

Back