First name puzzle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Rich most of the wood is 6 mm birch plywood and there is a large amount of fretwork to be done,I hope that it may be finished at the end of next week.With working looking through magnifying light all the time it strains my eyes and I have to take constant breaks.You will understand when you see the finished project.There are a couple of pieces of maple and tulip wood.

Bryan

Richard I am curious as you were asking about a sip when you joined but the pic you put up looks like a large record saw was it the one for 150 for sale on here week or so ago ?

if so how are you finding it ? a nearly brought it but changed my mind I decided next saw is going to be hegner multicut 2s

mark

Samfire":ajztksil said:
Hi Richard, I'm also new to scroll sawing, so I can appreciate just how good your work is. Well done. By the way, I know you said the wood was 44mm thick but you didn't mention the species. I'm currently having trouble trying to get my saw through a piece of maple that is almost half the thickness.
George

Thank you. I'm no expert, I think it is pine, is that the usual stuff from a hardware store.
I used a no.9 Olsen blade double cut I think. One blade did the whole thing.
Good luck with your scrolling
Rich

mac1012":1ar32zlg said:
Richard I am curious as you were asking about a sip when you joined but the pic you put up looks like a large record saw was it the one for 150 for sale on here week or so ago ?

if so how are you finding it ? a nearly brought it but changed my mind I decided next saw is going to be hegner multicut 2s

mark

You are correct.
After reading so many posts on 'Which scroll saw'. It was a difficult decission between quality and cost.
The price of the Record seemed good value compared to the SIP.
I am very pleased with it. It is my first saw so it is impossible to give a fair comparison. In my opinion it is quiet and very little vibration. It was demonstrated on a wooden floor, now it is on a concrete floor with a considerable reduction in vibration.
It is a solid build. Aluminum top arm and bed. No slop or tinny rattles. Not sure if they are correct technical terms.
Blade changing is straight forward. Wing nut top clamp and a spring clip holds the bottom clamp if that makes sense.
Cam operated tensioning.
The stand is a good working height. Which is good for me as at the moment scrolling is a whole body experience! You would need a bar stool to sit at the right height.
I certainly do not feel as though I have wasted my money which was my big fear if buying an entry level saw.
Rich

Bryan Bennett":30vm8btd said:
Sorry Rich most of the wood is 6 mm birch plywood and there is a large amount of fretwork to be done,I hope that it may be finished at the end of next week.With working looking through magnifying light all the time it strains my eyes and I have to take constant breaks.You will understand when you see the finished project.There are a couple of pieces of maple and tulip wood.

Bryan

No need to apologise.
I love plywood, look forward to seeing the the finished piece.

Richard,

Nice work. I'm looking to something similar - where did you get the letter template from?

Brian

Hello finneyb,
I used 'Word Art' in Microsoft Word.
I had the page In landscape orientation.

Inserted a text box.

Click on word art. A tip here when you choose the formatting for your letter go for one without any shadow effect. Then you see your cut line clearer.

Inserted the letter in the text box.
The font is 'cooper black'.

Highlighted the letter size box and made it 300. This depends on the width of your wood. Mine was about 90mm.

By putting each letter in it's own text box you can move them to overlap one another.

Print it off.
I used spray adhesive, next time I will try clear sticky tape to fix it to the wood.

Then scroll away.

That wood is 44mm thick, never again!

Enjoy your scrolling
Rich

They are the only ones I had.
l have to be honest 1 blade cut all the job. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.
I was going very slowly, beginners nerves, I think.
Towards the end I could feel it was needing more pressure to cut.
Again inexperience kept me from changing the blade.
I did some quite tight turns without a problem.
I would buy them again, as I say I have not tried any other makes.
Rich

I found this old thread for comparison.
Mind the dust.

Noah mk 2 with added dinosaur.
uploadfromtaptalk1379516190658.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379516190658.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379516190658.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 564
uploadfromtaptalk1379517591688.jpg

The F is top heavy so I made the waste into a stand. With detachable Teddy bear.

uploadfromtaptalk1379517683144.jpg

Rich

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379517591688.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379517591688.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 560
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379517683144.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379517683144.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 560
Thanks for the kind comments.
You won't know this but that Teddy slides in and out like a G-Plan draw.
Really chuffed.
If I could only make actual drawers do that.
Rich

Back