First Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I've just got my first lathe, got it from Axminster, a Jet mini 1220vs and just finished my first bowl. Made out of mahogany (85% sure) and finished with 3 coats of Danish oil and buffed.
1st Bowl b 13042013.jpg

any and all comments would be welcome, and I was going to ask, seeing as there is next to no information on the site for sharpening blades, and tools :evil: only joking! I've read some great posts on sharpening.

I also bought a chuck, some chisels and have some more coming from ebay, I will post a pic of them soon.

thanks
Gary

Attachments

• 1st Bowl 13042013.jpg
    1st Bowl 13042013.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 1,552
  • 1st Bowl b 13042013.jpg
    1st Bowl b 13042013.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 1,552
Nice, chunky looking bowl. Tidy finish too. A lot of turners will say the walls need to be thinner but I prefer a thicker bowl personally. Keep at it and you'll soon be turning some awesome stuff! It gets expensive mind, I shudder to think what I have spent in the last year on polishes, tools, chuck accessories, sharpening etc etc!!

There is nothing Wrong with that My Policy is Chunky is a working bowl thin walls is decorative and to be looked at. that's a better effort than my first bowl mine was the process of cooking sausages and burgers along with a few firelighters and just for Stevens benefit I don't mean whiskey blanks its a nice effort well done =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

Personally I love the clean, simple effect of this sort of bowl. The wood says it all, for me. Also the bit of weight when you handle it! First of many I hope.

Martin (now an "experienced" turner of 3 months! I do agree that the challenges were a good way of learning techniques that I might well have avoided otherwise).

Good effort, lovely finish. I am all for the chunky look aswell. Turning super thin is all very nice but of all the bowls I've done in the past, the thinner ones which took more time and effort to produce were always overlooked by friends and family. My finest thin bowl was in oak and if I do say so myself it looked awesome it was so fine but it barely gets a mention.
Anyway, if that;s the start then there's a lot more to come from you I'm sure. Better start saving those pennies for more stuff cos there'll always be something you really really really need lol

hi Gary
thats a very nice bowl.
i would have been well chuffed if my first bowl was half as nice as yours.
see you on the way down the slippery slope of woodturning fun.
cheers
paul-c

an old thread I know, but happened across it as I browsed through the forum lists.

That is a really good bowl. I place a high value on functionality. That bowl is an honest bowl, will do the job and has a simple elegant form that pleases the eye.
You have good instincts.

woodfarmer

Back