Old Moth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8 Fossil

Reaction score
For some time I've been thinking of buying a lathe so I waited for the January sales to come along and got as far as clicking away and filling the basket but I hadn't got the courage to take the final plunge because I had a little doubt. What if I really don't take to turning. After dithering about I decided to get an old cheapie and was fascinated by this old thing and it's attachments. It runs but the motor pulley chatters as the woodruff key is not fitting properly The attachments are caked in crud but after a few hours the morticing jig had been cleaned up and freed off. The planer/thicknesser needs bearings but i'm in no rush as I've got plenty scrubbing with wire wool to do first. Will post more pics when it's a bit more presentable.

Attachments

• IMG_8434.JPG
    IMG_8434.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
The next time I top up it will be a heavier oil as the 5/40 I used almost fell through.

Going into town this week to see if I can get some chisels if they have any and if not it will be on line keeping away from cheapo no brand name rubbish.

Never found a metal moth.....v interested to see more photo's.....
looks like a lucky find....

thought u ment this kind.....only ever seen one in my life.....wild.....
IMG_0495.JPG

Thanks for all the info. It's been fascinating reading about all the other models including the attachments and instructions. They must have been quite a machine back then. The SAE 30 oiling will be a regular duty every time I use it. The old ML8 reminds me of school days and there's still plenty of them around.

It's been a busy weekend with all the cleaning and there's still a lot more to do. The mortice attachment now moves freely after being thoroughly doused with plus gas and given a little gentle persuasion. As you can see there's a lot of work yet to be done including a new
power cable and hopefully I can revive the old planer.

Attachments

• IMG_8456.JPG
    IMG_8456.JPG
    972 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8448.JPG
    IMG_8448.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8451.JPG
    IMG_8451.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8454.JPG
    IMG_8454.JPG