First lathe attempts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3ph

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought I'd post some pictures of the first batch of work with my lathe.

I'm a total newbie to this, so don't expect any masterpieces :)

The wood is mostly from my oak logstore (firewood), which is very handy for learning on, though it can be a bit hard to turn.

I also had some slightly green hazel and other mystery wood (probably chestnut), this stuff is great fun, the shavings just peal off in long strings.

I've got an axminster AW1416VS, and the K10 chuck and various assorted tools.

I've also been experimenting with various finishes, friction polish/finishing oil/cellulose.

So far it's been very enjoyable, though I've noticed my wrist has been rather sore, probably bad technique holding the chisel.

I've found bowls to be the most fun to make, though roughing out green wood might just beat it.

al

Attachments

• P1010868.JPG
    P1010868.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 1,267
  • P1010869.JPG
    P1010869.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,267
  • P1010870.JPG
    P1010870.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 1,267
  • P1010871.JPG
    P1010871.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,267
  • P1010872.JPG
    P1010872.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,267
  • P1010873.JPG
    P1010873.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,267
  • P1010874.JPG
    P1010874.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 1,267
al3ph":2nc9k3g0 said:
Hi all,

Lovely work, am not sure i believe its the first lathe work you have done,

Really beautiful, I can't wait to get my lathe and see what I can make. I don't think it will be as perfect as your work.

Hi

No2 shallow bowl / platter looks very well produced

In time you will develop well

If you have time post some images of you standing by the lathe as if you were turning showing how you hold the chisel , we may spot a problem with your stance / method of holding , Have you got the center of the main shaft at the same height as your elbow or slightly above ?

Nice lathe :D

Thank you, though I suspect the photos are bad enough to hide any mistakes :)

loz":2yyp6j72 said:
al3ph":2yyp6j72 said:
Hi all,

Lovely work, am not sure i believe its the first lathe work you have done,

The wrist - are you gripping very tight and pushing the cut hard into the wood? - most newcomers do this, due to bad technique or blunt tools, and using well seasoned oak ( cant get much harder ! ) cant help,

Everything looks well finished though, so tools are probably getting a good sharpen and often.

you only need to hold the tool, and let the wood do the work as it passes the edge

Cheers! It's easier than you might expect, certainly to get an acceptible result, obviously the more experience turners will produce finer work with more consistency and I expect a lot faster as well.

Some of the youtube videos I've watched are very informative, and the speed at which they shape the wood is stunning.

Peggy":3k3bbbi7 said:
Really beautiful, I can't wait to get my lathe and see what I can make. I don't think it will be as perfect as your work.

loz":2im3cxo0 said:
The wrist - are you gripping very tight and pushing the cut hard into the wood? - most newcomers do this, due to bad technique or blunt tools, and using well seasoned oak ( cant get much harder ! ) cant help,

Everything looks well finished though, so tools are probably getting a good sharpen and often.

you only need to hold the tool, and let the wood do the work as it passes the edge

Yep thats sounds exactly like the problem, I'm sure my tool sharpening could be improved, but yes I'm probably pushing to hard, I've been keeping the lathe speed fairly low, probably not much above 800rpm for the smaller bowls, so I'm probably over compensating by pushing the tool into the wood too much.

Yep the oak is stupidly hard stuff, probably not the best material to be learning with, but I've got lots of it :)

Really should enrol in a two day course, but I've very little free time.

Great news.

You dont want to be put off due to pain !

leave the oak aside for a while, get some other wood, ash, beech, birch, even white deal ( pine ) from b&q ! and practice your cuts on that, sharpen often, check out local night classes for a course, and look for a local club.

Some tuition is highly recommended.

Once you have trued up your blank you will find things easier if you up the turning speed, especially on the smaller items to maintain the same sort of cutting speed.

Easier to say than do with confidence as a new turner though.

I think for a newbee you are doing exceptionally well they all look above beginner class of work keep going in the direction your going and you cant go wrong sharpening and chisel presentation will come with time and experience also if you can turn rock hard Oak then the rest will be a walk in the park for you that is till you go on to spalted woods happy turning

I'm slowly upping the speed, though I'm obviously aware that my tool "presentation" to the wood is iffy at times so extra caution is required, as I get more consistent I can use the higher speeds without danger of nasty catches (well at least not as often), I also need to bolt the lathe down, so far it's just been sitting on the bench, which is fine at lower speeds ( no majorly off balance pieces yet), but I get vibration at higher revs.

CHJ":3tc6qyst said:
Once you have trued up your blank you will find things easier if you up the turning speed, especially on the smaller items to maintain the same sort of cutting speed.

Easier to say than do with confidence as a new turner though.

woodyturner":bitc7sgk said:
I think for a newbee you are doing unexceptionally well they all look above beginner class of work keep going in the direction your going and you cant go wrong sharpening and chisel presentation will come with time and experience also if you can turn rock hard Oak then the rest will be a walk in the park for you that is till you go on to spalted woods happy turning

:D Thanks!

Yep practice will definitely improve those things, mainly sharpening tools and proper use of the tools, I'm currently trying to get the hang of the skew chisel, starts off great with fine wisps of wood coming off, then bang! I've managed to catch it and now theres a gert big gouge in the nice shiney smooth wood.

al3ph":2xbooj89 said:
woodyturner":2xbooj89 said:
I think for a newbee you are doing unexceptionally well they all look above beginner class of work keep going in the direction your going and you cant go wrong sharpening and chisel presentation will come with time and experience also if you can turn rock hard Oak then the rest will be a walk in the park for you that is till you go on to spalted woods happy turning

:D Thanks!

Yep practice will definitely improve those things, mainly sharpening tools and proper use of the tools, I'm currently trying to get the hang of the skew chisel, starts off great with fine wisps of wood coming off, then bang! I've managed to catch it and now theres a gert big gouge in the nice shiney smooth wood.
You wont be the first to have a mishap with a skew it is one of the hardest tools to get the hang of on a positive note you have had it cutting right so your almost there

I started with an oval skew and found it ok for planing cuts, but nothing else. Then I tried one of these;

http://www.axminster.co.uk/henry-taylor-henry-taylor-skew-chisels-prod22361/

For me, this is much easier because of the extra weight (less flex) and also there is more support on the tool rest because of the thicker section. Also, make sure you keep the cut in the bottom third of the blade...the catches tend to be when the cut rides up the edge of the tool.

Good turnings, well done.

Some good looking stuff there. I'm slowly beginning to reach that level.
A big revelation for me was watching Eli Avisera masterclass DVD's. I have since adopted his stance, sharpening technique, and tool presentation. The difference is unbelievable.

Keep it up though.

Latest posts

Back