first ever scroll saw attempt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musomaniac

Established Member
Reaction score
20150621_170752_zpsbsd7wzja.jpg

go easy on me guys ...........
well here it is , my first ever forray into the world of the scroll saw , and may i say it lots of sanding too , i now have a few more questions regarding sanding , i used the pillar drill with a sanding drum attached to it to round off the bigger pieces , and the dremel with a little drum sander for the smaller pieces ,
trouble is i cant seem to get a decent finish with either , how do you guys get the finish ? the drum sanders seem to leave lines , i was thinking about getting a belt/disc sander , or a bobbin sander whats your reccomendations

i have , but some of the marks would take a while to get out by hand , i think i need a different initial sanding setup

Regardless of what machines you have for shaping and sanding there is nothing to beat the final sanding by hand, even as fine as using 400 grit abrasive. Brian will be able to throw a bit more light on this as he is very much into intarsia whereas most things I make are with single pieces of wood. My wood comes to me alrady planed so has an acceptable finish already but after I have cut something I sand it on the belt/disc sander using 120 grit and then I finish everything by hand sanding, it does make a big difference.

Excellent work there musomaniac !!

Is that the Bob Bloodsworth shell ?

cordy

thanks everyone for the great advice , after sanding today there was a LOT of dust lying around and floating about , would a henry hoover or similar do fora bit of dust extraction

haha brian , yeah i sent the tiny bit on the end of the shell flying quite a few times today , ended up using the dremel on it , l
i'm going to get a belt/disc sander ,and hopefully some sort of dust extraction sorted out next week , i also have a lathe , and a table saw , so would lime it interchangeable with those

brian where do you get the sanding belts for the black and decker foam drum , i have also just purchased a draper 50021 belt and disc sander , where would you reccomend getting various grits for it , sorry for all the questions lol

and on to another question lol ....... i have just bought a second hand scheppach hs2000 dust extractor , it has a 4 inch flexible hose which is way too big to fit even my table saw , are there any reducers available for this flexi hose

20150622_204508_zps4ddff8sw.jpg

Back