First cabinet build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mind_the_goat

Established Member
Reaction score
We have some rework to do in our kitchen and the boss wants a solid oak cabinet to fit under our new (new to us) full size ceramic sink. The sink will sit on top of a low cabinet rather then sunk into the worktop. I intend to get someone to do the fitting as there is other work to do, but would like to try building the cabinet myself.
I am thinking that the best route is to use biscuits, both to make up the panels from thinner planks and to align the sides, using pocket screws to hold it together. I don't have a biscuit jointer. Is this a good approach?
If so should I buy a low to mid range biscuit jointer or would a biscuit cutter on a router work sufficiently well? Not sure how I would align the cuts in the sides of the panels with a router.
An alternative would be dowels, but I think I'd also need a jig for those.

I suspect a better, easier and cheap alternative would be to put a face frame on an MDF cabinet, but have a feeling I'll be overruled on that idea.

My quick answer would be to sort out the design first then work out construction methods that are appropriate.

Cheap biscuit joiners are just that, I would suggest a Domino machine, which is the system I now lean towards, if not M&TS etc.

Thanks. Domino would of course be my ideal tool selection but I'm certainly not able to justify the outlay at the moment.
What I'm really thinking of in design terms will be a very simple unit, along the lines of something I could buy from B&Q but in solid wood. it'll be 1200mm x 500mm, sitting on those plastic adjustable feet. it'll need a vertical divider, possibly 2 for strength, and shelves. It will have baskets and no doors,hence unable to use mdf inside as will show.. It's going in a primarily cream shaker style kitchen. Just realised the waste pipes will be on show unless I come up with a way to hide them, I don't think the 'customer' has considered that.
I used 200 x 20mm planks for some shelving so thinking of using those to make up panels. I guess I could use veneered MDF but as there will be a sink on top of it it's likely to get wet, not sure if that would cause a problem with a wood veneer.

Don't touch the mdf, especially near the sinks. How about a sheet of ply and veneering it for the carcass and any panels at the front in solid oak?

Back