First Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thought I would just show you some pics of my first box, well actually there are a lot of firsts in this post! this is probably the first project outside of turning that I have completed, so go easy on me.

So the box was originally going to be a jewellry box, but due to the precision needed in making the trays I have decided to leave those for the moment and concentrate on making the box first! All in all this has taken me probably nearly half a year from start to finish off and on.

So I started by resawing the wood which can be seen in this post:

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/anyone-had-any-luck-with-one-of-these-t62164.html

The box is made completely from walnut and is finished with danish oil, followed by a coat of liberon wax.

Box Isometric.jpg

From the Front

Box Front.jpg

A picture of the top, it is a one piece top and the grain is really beautiful

Box Top.jpg

I have attempted to use dovetails as I really like the way they look in a box, these are my first dovetails so are a little "Gappy" but I'm still pretty happy with them

Box Dovetail.jpg

The lid simply rests on top:

Box Open.jpg

I really enjoyed making the box and i'm already planning the next one, which will hopefully have a hinged lid

Anyway thanks for reading and always comments/critisms welcome!!!

Cheers
John

Attachments

• Box Isometric.jpg
    Box Isometric.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,405
  • Box Front.jpg
    Box Front.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,405
  • Box Top.jpg
    Box Top.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,405
  • Box Dovetail.jpg
    Box Dovetail.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,405
  • Box Open.jpg
    Box Open.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,405
Speeder, you really like throwing yourself in at the deep end, dovetails for a first box? well good on you. Does the lid fit inside the box? if not could you not make a small rebate around the lid edge so it sits inside the box slightly, stop it sliding off.
Be careful that the lid doesn't cup, being made from a single piece it may bend slightly, if it does you may have to fit some breadboard ends or some such reinforcement.

Andy

Hi andy,

Yep definitely like challenging myself :) though this could have been a step to far for my rather limited ability, as there are a couple of mistakes!!!

The lid does actually have a rebate around it so it fits inside the box as opposed to just being placed on top, just didn't take a photo of it, but yes I'm a bit worried about it cupping. It was resawn and planed about 4 months ago, so hopefully there isn't much movement left.

The rebate is the only bit I did with a power tool using my router, next time I will try doing the rebate with my no78 plane.

Cheers
John

PS the box you gave me for ss is now sitting on the bedside table as a Jewellery box for the better half. She's well chuffed and so am I, so thanks again.

John,

No problems, I am just glad you liked it, I know it was supposed to be 'tool' themed but had a look round for a decent tool but didn't have anything I could class as a decent SS pressie.

I'm sure that if the lid did cup then you could remove an inch or so from both ends, clamp it flat again and fit a breadboard end on each end to reinforce it, you could do a little mortise and tennon joint to fix the new end then cut the rebate again.

Andy

I was thinking about this today as I'm planning my next box. Is it better to make a 2 piece lid or a 1 piece lid? I suppose with a 2 piece lid you can orientate the wood as to limit movement ..... but I really like the look of a 1 piece lid.

I suppose as was suggested there are breadboard ends which will limit movement, I'm just not sure I'll be able to do this yet as I've heard breadboard joints are pretty tough ....

John

John, if you can find a piece of timber with a nice grain effect, crotch or something like that, and it is thick enough, then you can split it and open it like a book and get a really good effect, it does mean you will have to join it somehow and one glue joint wont be enough, it would need a spline or biscuits along the length, don't take them to the ends or they will show and you will then need to cover the ends.
This may increase the problem of cupping though.
Have a look at this lid, he has done he has made a frame for it, check his website too, lots of tips for boxmaking.

http://davidbarronfurniture.blogspot.co ... oopps.html

Andy

What a lovely box, and yes, your right the book matching looks really impressive!

Also the coloured dots to mark corners is another brilliant idea!!!! Will be using that for my next box instead of pencil markings

Thanks andy for all the really useful suggestions :)

John

Latest posts

Back