First attempts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davol

Established Member
Reaction score
HI All
Having dabbled with woodworking for the past five years or so (since retirement). In early 2007 I began to read the posts in this forum with a view to buying a lathe and trying my hand at turning (never done any before).
After much research, most of it on this forum. Two weeks ago I successfully bid on E-bay (£420) for a three year old Nova 3000 lathe.
This came complete with : supernova chuck, extra set of spigot jaws,
eleven chisels (4 Robert Sorby 4 Crown) and approx twenty turning blanks of various sizes and timbers.
Results so far:
1. small bowl NO COMMENT not worth a pic
2. bowl/dish. 230mm dia x 30mm. This was inspired by Johnboy's post on the safe way to turn a square bowl.
3 Pepper mill. 60mm dia(max) x 270mm tall. Note the tear drop flaw is natural.

Thats all so far, many thanks to the forum, keep turning

MODEDit, removed picture links. Although working, they are massive - and Chas has reduced them to a more manageable size below.

Its not you, as a new member the span protection stops you posting for a while, one of the Mods will be along to sort you out.

And welcome to the forum

Jason

Hello and welcome Davol.
Look forward to your piccys :D
Bit of a bargain again on the lathe and equipment :shock: Well done.
Paul.J.

Hi davol, and welcome.

I'm a newcomer on the forum myself, only been here a few weeks.

Good buy with the lathe, I use a Nova 3000 myself, I've converted mine to variable speed.

Good luck with your turning.

142fs877067.jpg

143fs31183.jpg

Welcome Davol.

EDIT:
Picture host references changed now that picture sizes have been amended.

If that is an example of your starter work we are all going to have to pull our socks up.

Edit: duplicate picture references removed.

Hello and welcome :D

Like the hexagonal piece,very nice.I thought Johnboys post on turning a square bowl was very useful,but never thought of using the idea in the way you have. (Might have to think of it myself at some point... :whistle: :-$ )

Andrew

Chas, thanks for dealing with the picture problem.
I will try to adjust the size in future.

davol

What's really impressive is making a hexagonal dish with 8 sides. :lol:

Actually measuring off 40 degree angles is probably a lot harder than 60 degree ones. Really impressive pieces though. I like the contrasting woods. Works well.

Pete

Bodrighy":3l59c38z said:
What's really impressive is making a hexagonal dish with 8 sides. :lol:
Pete

Okay,I meant octagonal :oops: (What's worse is I actually counted them first as well....)

Andrew

Hi PaulJ.

In both peices the light wood is beach, off cuts from when I made a butchers block. The dark wood, I am told is american walnut, small blank that came with the lathe.
davol

Back