FIRST ATTEMPT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster30

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals that's me got it turning the right way and have speed control too.
my first attempt went OK lol. i started off with a good sized bit of chestnut by the time i was done i had an eggcup the shape and size of a deodorant cans cap. it looked OK, i sanded it an finished it with linseed oil. oil didn't do much but when i put it onto a bit of silver birch that i shaped for a bowl it brought it alive. i still need to do the inside but im slowly picking it up. catch after catch i need to learn how to hold the tools properly and how to sharpen then. need a better chuck the one i have for the jubilee is a 3 jaw. the tailstock doesn't spin so i need one of them to. it gets expensive.
thanks for helping me out i was totally stumped

Foties or it didn't happen...... :D

Glad to hear you're up and running. A chuck isn't a necessity, but it is far more convenient. I managed for over a year until I was able to afford a chuck. You can get by with a faceplate (or two) and a hot glue gun. Just don't try mounting green wood with a glue joint.

Even a solid tailstock isn't necessarily a problem. At least you can work right up to them without ruining the edge of the tool.

Hi Buster and welcome , glad to see you are finding your way and seem to have been hooked by the turning bug .
Slowly ,slowly, is the way to approach woodturning .Take your time don't be put off by photos of what other beginners had
made on their first attempt . It take some of us time and patience to get there but it will happen .

There are many DVDs by very good turners to be had , and a member on here called Bobham has a series on you tube.
Check out him and you won't go too far wrong .

Wish you every success and be patient .

Galloway Woodturners may be worth a look at http://gallowaywoodturners.co.uk/ subject to location.
They have a wood prep day this Sunday 14th - but I can't find the location on the website - must be one of these secret societies :)

Their Sept newsletter has a contact email.

HTH

Brian

Glad you are progressing on the spinny front, just take care and take special heed of any small mishaps you have and try and work out why you had them, if they keep repeating then STOP. and seek advise or instruction.

buster30":2tw3sobe said:
.......need a better chuck the one i have for the jubilee is a 3 jaw. ....

As others have said a chuck is not essential, but a good four jaw scroll chuck enhances the experience and ease of use considerably.

Regarding the three jaw, I would go as far as to say that a generic engineering style chuck used for normal wood turning is positively dangerous for a novice turner, neither the jaw configuration nor the gripping area are adequate to clamp a piece of compressible wood safely without tailstock support.

Back