First attempt at making pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmw89

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Had a go at making a couple of slimline pens from the kits I bought last week. Managed to blow one blank as I don't have a drill press.

NOt sure what the dark wood is but pretty sure the light one is olive. Both finished to 1200 grit and with sanding sealer and beeswax

Anyway, here's the pics.

Cheers,

Adam

Good first attempt mate.
I have a drill press but I don't use it for drilling pen blanks out. I drill all of my blanks on the lathe as I find it to be more precise. Just remember to keep winding the drill back out to clear the cuttings and this should help reduce the risk of a blow out.

Vic

Thanks vic.

Surprisingly, the first set of blanks (the darker pen) came out alright after chopping them up on the bandsaw and drilling.

The second set I should've done what I've done my whole life and ignored my dad, as that cost me a blowout by trying to drill the whole blank before cutting

=D>

ajmw89":2pqeg2wn said:
Thanks vic.

Surprisingly, the first set of blanks (the darker pen) came out alright after chopping them up on the bandsaw and drilling.

The second set I should've done what I've done my whole life and ignored my dad, as that cost me a blowout by trying to drill the whole blank before cutting

Yep. bin there done that :oops:

Tip: cut your blanks (each half) about a 1/4 inch too long and drill from what will be the centre of the pen out. That way even if the drill wanders your mating grain remains nicely matched.

Thanks for the tip Nev.
With a twisty pen like these, should the grain match up before or after you twist (ie before the nib is out or after)

ajmw89":2nidj4zh said:
Thanks for the tip Nev.
With a twisty pen like these, should the grain match up before or after you twist (ie before the nib is out or after)

No rules, whatever floats your boat. I line them up when in display mode, so usually closed - when then can be seen in their entirety.

Back