First acoustic guitar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callumlovatt

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the first guitar that i have ever made. It has walnut back and sides and European spruce top. I have follow the book 'build your own acoustic guitar' which is based on the martin O.M. I have only small woodworking experience (mainly woodturning), so i have had to learn lots of new skills.
Hope you like it.
Callum
SDC12069.jpg

SDC12068.jpg

SDC12062.jpg

SDC12067.jpg

Very nice axe Callum, making something yourself that you can then play and make music on must be one of the most satisfying things you can do with a lump of wood.

Presumably you have other guitars, how does this one play and what does it sound like?

It is very comfy to hold on the neck and body, but I think the action on the strings may need lowering a little to improve playability.
I like the sound too as it is quite trebley, so it doesn't boom as much as some other guitars. It has took a long time, but it was well worth it. :D

Excellent!
What finish did you use?
Need a new project? How about a banjo - you could use your turning skills to make the rim and resonator :lol:

Ian

Thanks. I used 2 coats cellulose sanding sealer and then I put 6 or 7 coats of chestnut acrylic gloss lacquer, which was out of an aerosol.
I have thought about making a banjo, but I've not made my mind up what to do next.

Hello Callum,

Congratulations on finishing your guitar - and from a book, with no help; not an easy task.
I started to build one thirty years ago, at evening class, but 'life' got in the way and it was never finished.
But, once the workshop build is finished, it will be the first project. The irony is that it only needs a bridge making and fitting....do'h.
May I ask, how much compensation did you allow (past the actual string length), and what is the angle or measurement of the saddle on the bridge.
As a matter of interest see my attempt below. It has mahogany sides and a cedar top. The neck is joined to the body with a slipper foot which is usually used on classical guitars, so it is a bit of an oddity.

guitargp.jpg

Regarding the next project, if you want to stretch yourself, how about an Arab oud - the precurser to the lute. Try a google search, they are things of real beauty.

Best regards....Dick.

Your guitar looks very good to me Dick, its a shame that it has took so long, but i'm sure you will be pleased with the end result. I'm nut sure what you are asking with our first question, but the saddle was set back 6mm from the front of the bridge at the high E and 10mm at the low E. Good luck with the rest of the project.
Callum

Hello Callum,

Thanks for the saddle info. The 'compensation' that I was referring to is the distance that the bridge is moved back past the actual 'scale length' (i.e. twice the nut to 12th fret distance), once the saddle angle has been set.
This is to allow for the fact that when a string is fretted, the length changes and goes minimally, out of tune. The saddle 'slope' is to allow for the strings thickening, changing the tuning as above.

Enough of that, what kind of music do you play/are interested in, and how long have you been playing? Are you a plectrum or finger picker - or both? Would it be possible to record some audio of you playing or strumming the new instrument, so that we can have some idea of the sound......don't be shy :D

As to your next 'challenge' here are some links to pictures/audio/how to build an oud.
If nothing else, it is a peek into a different culture. I was smitten the first time that I heard Anouar Brahem play; I later saw him in a trio at the Barbican in London - awesome.

http://www.varjouds.com/j_varjabedian_ouds.htm
[/url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3E1hWLk6Y&feature=related
http://www.khalafoud.com/index.htm

It might not be to your taste musically, but the skill in building an oud might be of interest.
Let me know what you think of the above...you may hate it, the British ear is not used to listening to sounds based on 'Arab' scales that use notes that sound out of tune.

Regards...Dick.

PPS. Beware when searching for the word oud, as in Dutch, it means 'old' so you could end up with lots of pics of old Dutch people :D

The bridge is located 641mm from the nut, which I think for the long scale length, hope this helps. But the bridge is a very important part of the guitar, so you may need to ask someone else.
I mainly play rock, and I like bands such as the beatles, rhcp, rolling stones, guns n roses, a bit of all sorts tbh. I also have a vintage sg to play the heavier stuff on. I use a pick on my electric, but usually finger pick on acoustic. I have been playing for probably about 5 years, but i am mainly self-taught. What sort of stuff do you play, have you got an oud?
The oud is a very pretty In instrument, and it looks like there would be a lot of skill in making one, but i am not sure weather i would want one or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXFLWStw2YE

This is a video of me and my sister and my guitar, hope you like it, and thank you for showing an interest.
Callum

Hi Callum,

I have watched the video, and two things come to mind.
Firstly, and this is in no way a criticism, the guitar was out of tune. If you are posting your work on YouTube for all to see, it would pay to make sure that the ‘performance’ was as good as possible - who knows what the future might hold :smile:

Secondly, don’t upset your sister. Even sitting down with a squashed diaphragm, her voice was good - given her obvious youth, it can only get better, if she works at it. You might very well need a singer if you form a band, so keep her sweet :smile:

The guitar looked and sounded good, I bet you couldn’t buy one as good, for the cost of the build. Without wishing to be ageist or rude, you are obviously very young in comparison with the majority of members of this forum. To have achieved what you have on your own, with only the aid of a book is very impressive. I take my ‘electronic’ hat off to you. If this is your first foray into woodwork, don’t give up, you have an obvious talent.

As to my taste in music, my first influences were folk and blues artists. Given our vast difference in age (I’m just 65), you probably won't have heard of most of them as they were black, blind, and mostly, dead when I was your age :shock:
People like, Blind Blake, Rev Gary Davis, Blind boy Fuller, Bill Broonzy, Robert Johnson, to name just a few.
I also have a liking for Flamenco and classical guitar, so, Paco Pena, Julian Bream and John Williams.
I can't forget, in the swing/jazz world, Django Reinhardt, this long dead gent has to be listened to with the thought that he only had two usable fingers, as a result of a caravan fire....stunning.
The modern blues/ragtime person that I sat in the front row of clubs and watched, with my eyes glued to the fingerboard, was Stefan Grossman. He was taught by the Rev Gary Davis, a blind street preacher who also played blues and ragtime; I actually got to see him just before he died, and at 72 ish, he could still charm an audience with that much overused word, charisma. He must have been amazing at his peak.

Please find below, Stefan Grossman in 1981, playing Mississippi Blues - and talking. I can play it, but I’m blowed if I could talk as well.
The second, is Stefan as he is now...like me, an old git with a bald head. But...he is a good teacher. Have a look on the Tube at some of his teaching videos, you might find them interesting. Like the Oud - it is something new to listen to, to widen your experience of the wonderful world of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91u_0PccY4c Mississippi Blues - Willie Brown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz0LJPRLMKU Shuffle rag - Bill Broonzy

I hope that I have not bored the pants off you with all this, but as you can see, the enthusiasm for music, and guitar is still strong in my heart. The day that a well played guitar doesn’t quicken my pulse....I’ll be dead :smile:

Have a listen to the above and let me know what you think, I might be older than your dad, but I am still interested.

Regards...Dick.
Oops I forgot to mention, yes I have two Ouds, one I found in a junk shop, and the other was bought by my daughter, in Tripoli, Libya...err two years ago.

Hi Dick,
sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you, I have been on mountain biking trip to Wales and I have only remembered about our message. Thank you for having a listen to our video and commenting, but I am sure the guitar wasn't out of tune as it was tuned just before recording.

You are right about those artists as I have never heard of any of them. I have had a listen to the videos and and I enjoyed them more than I was expecting to, I probably like the first one the most.

Out of tune or not, I enjoyed it, though I might take exception to the claim the song was made famous by someone other then Dylan. :)

Thats excellent. Its something I'd try. Do you know roughly how much the guitar cost you to make in materials? I imagine theres not a lot of wood in it but don't know.

Thanks guys. I think the guitar cost me around £200 to make which is cheap compared to if you were to buy a handmade guitar. There is quite a lot of bracing on the inside of the soundboard, but other than that there is only what you see.

Chems you should give it a go, being a cabinet maker you'll probably have the skills and most of the tools to do it easily. :D

Hi Callum,
Having just watched some of the videos on Becky's blog, I was glad to see that I wasn't wrong about your sisters voice.
Standing, and actually performing, she has a very good voice. Definitely do not upset her :smile:
I see that you are an apprentice joiner, so much for me saying that you have a talent, having built your guitar.
If ever anyone is in the right job, it's you. The best of luck with your future life.
I will do my best to finish my guitar and let you see and hear it, once the workshop is finished.

Best wishes......Dick.

well, I'm an apprentice joiner starting from monday, and I'll hopefully be in the trade for many years to come. :)
Please do let me know when it is finished, I would love to see it and listen to it when its done, I hope the rest of it goes to plan.
Callum

Latest posts

Back