Fire Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
This piercing business is quite addictive! This bowl is made from sycamore and pierced with a fire design. The 'skeleton' part is representative of the flames leaping away from the black part which is the thing 'burning'. The bowl is a wide rimmed ogee style and about 9" wide.Comments and critiques welcome.

wee011.jpg

ickle0026.jpg

FANTASTIC!!

Love it, the wife loves it, the cats loves it too. Miaow he said - twice!

No doubt someone will say "won't hold much will it?"

A great piece of work Johnny, go along with comments seen elsewhere that Flame piercing would go better with the title as would a 90deg from the top presentation. But as a piece, forgeting the title it is a beauty.

I see it as a bubbling block of lava, a flowing one next time perhaps, elongated piercings or flames.

Perhaps you should use Ash for these, it does burn better.

Looks good Johnny,

But being critical i think the transition from the black quite close piercing to the red very open is too fast.

All the best

laurence

Hi Johnny,
I like the way you have two different effects merging into one piece.
I feel the circular cutout in the middle jars just a little, being regular and centred, while everything else about the piece is asymmetrical and irregular.
But nevertheless, a fantastic piece of work!

Ian

what a great example of 'art and craft'

is there somewhere I can read up on the techniques employed here (or a thread/web reference) please?

Jumps, I don't know of any write up on how to do this, I don't think one is needed, its just a case of turn a thin as possible and attack with a dremel, simple as that!

way to go Johnny

Sorry have not been looking round the forums much but though while the dinner was cooking I would have a peek.

I like it a lot. Great work.

Back