Finishing slatboard including plastic inserts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a load of retail slatboard which is white with brightly coloured inserts. I have some white inserts but the exisiting ones are really stuck - tried various methods of getting them out but can't (any suggestions?).
So I was wondering if I could paint or spray them black? The slatboards themselves are just painted MDF so I guess I can paint straight over with anything? But the plastic inserts are the tricky bit?
Any ideas on paint to use and best way of applying it?
Also anyone know of a source of plain black on both sides MFC? I haven't phoned around but Edens don't seem to do what I want (that's who I normally use). Also I only really need one sheet?
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks Jason - I read that as side 1 white, side 2 black - I want black on both sides. But most likely I'm reading it wrong!
Cheers
Gidon

I think you will find the 18mm is two side with the exception of some of the woodgrains. The 8mm backing is usually coloured on one side with a white reverse.

Jason

I helped my mate paint his slatwall and fit the inserts, lots of them to so we got quite good at it in the end. To make life simpler you are better off getting them out if you can, painting with them in would be quite a pain I reckon. His pressed in but would only come out by sliding them out from the end; this we found out after putting several rows in upside down. They are a tight fit so may appear glued but I can't see why they would have needed to be.

The slat wall inserts are shaped like the outline of a letter "J" in cross section so it should be possible to spring them out from the top edge unless they're glued or painted in for some reason. Have you tried knocking them out from one side with a wooden "drift"? If you're really stuck you could always rout them out with an undersized T-slot cutter in the router running against a batten, but frankly I'd sooner spend the money on new slatwall.

OK thanks Jason - I'm going to try and get re-use the white slatboard and get some conti-board (easy to get in white at least) to make a freestanding bookshelf style slatboard jobby. If I can't get the inserts out then I'll make something from scratch with black MFC.
Thanks Studders - you're right they should slide out but they don't! I've got loads of the stuff so will see if I can get some out for a section to be the back of the piece - don't need much. Think I'll leave painting.
Thanks FFC - what's a drift - do you mean something shaped like the t-groove? Would be tricky to make that. Yes new slatwall would be easier but have so much seems such a waste! Won't spend too much time on it though ...
Cheers
Gidon

You can just use a strip of wood to "drift" them out, bit of spare lipping or the like. Its just so you can hit the end as the hammer won't go down the slot, will also cause less damage to the plastic

Jason

Back