Finishing an oak table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBen

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has recently bought an oak table from oakfurnitureland or somewhere similar.

I think they come pre coated in Danish oil but not 100% sure and don't know how thatwouldaffect subsequent finishes.

He wants to make it waterproof/water resistant but wants to retain the natural oak look.

My knowledge of finishes is limited but I suggested an oil finish.

He has seen this www.americanwoodoil.com which is for floors and (I believe) is resin based.

What would you suggest he finishes it with to get the desired finish.

I have explained the differences in finishes and what each one can and can't do but said I would ask here for him.

Ideally it would be relatively simple for him to do although that might be asking the impossible.

Justben
this seems to be a re occurring issue. I have posted above re Rustins, which may be a solution.
first you will have to establish what finish is on the table. I made a tv console from elm and finished with Danish oil mixed with a stain. After two months the wife decided she didn't like the colour and wanted it changing....poof just like that!!!!!!! The problem is removing the coating already in place, or some how stabilising it.
On a table top you can machine or sand out the oil surface then re apply, after testing with whatever finish you want. the problem for us amateurs is matching the colour to the rest of the table. Do you try and strip it all down and then finish the whole table, or finish the top and put up with a miss match??
Whichever way you look at it the job becomes bigger, and more time consuming if you want to do it properly.
That's why my TV console stayed the same colour and has not been moved.......!!!
Any tables I have made have gone to a professional finisher. Whatever anyone tells you finishing and matching up colours is a trade all of it's own.

I am led to believe that Oak Furniture Land use a Nitrocellulose Lacquer on their furniture. Mainly because its much cheaper than any other finish and that the furniture is usually produced in places such as China.

Before looking at fully removing the finish, get a small amount of Lacquer Thinners, and using a dampened rag, test a small hidden area. If the surface becomes tacky, its a Nitro finish and any paint stripper / remover will remove it with little to no fuss.

with regards to finishing it with a natural and durable finish. Something like a Hardwax Oil will provide a very durable finish and some colours/brands offer types that will not alter the colour of the wood.

Latest posts

Back