Finishing advice for model/toy boat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnandp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, This is a little model boat which I have built from a plan. The keel is weighted so in theory..... :roll: it should float!! I've put it together with D4 glue. Please don't be too harsh on the model itself I'm new(ish) to wood work. My question is what would you advise for a finish? I thought about oil and wax but also considered varnish. If this were to be given as a gift for a child would that affect the advice given? I've tried oil and wax before and been a bit disappointed with the finish (not very glossy) that maybe my skill though!! ha ha. Any help much appreciated.
Regards John

Attachments

• _MG_6365 sma.jpg
    _MG_6365 sma.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,087
What a lovely boat!!!!

I used hard wax oil on the toy boat I made, I quite liked the finish by it wasn't glossy .... it is child safe though

As far as I understand it a finish is child friendly as long as it is fully cured, things like pure tung oil are child safe, but takes months to fully cure

John

I like that boat! Shellac is a food safe finish and will give you the gloss. Having said that wax is such a friendly organic finish and the boat looks very nice without the gloss. I think the design suits a matte finish. Just my personal view on it.

It's a beautiful little thing - simple and elegant - I'd have loved to have been given that as a child with some pull string on it, you should feel very pleased with yourself!

I found that if you put enough Danish Oil on, it starts to fill the grain, and become glossy. Make sure you rub it in well though. I rub some in, then apply more, rub it in, then apply more, to make sure the first coat is generous, then put on more thinner coats with a day drying between each. I've only tried Elm, Beech and Oak though. I guess you do need something protective on it to prevent finger grease discolouring the bare wood.

Lovely boat! I suspect a child would destroy it, children do not appreciate such high quality work. Why not keep the boat, or give it to the child's parents, and get a toy boat for the child?

Hi John I have made this very same boat and coated it with Cynthia"s home made wax (a formula of bees wax and baby oil) no doubt you will know this formula as you probably downloaded the plans from her company. This wax will not give a high gloss finish but is waterproof and has a pleasant feel to the touch. I made a few more from the plans, but left out the sail, shortened and widened the keel to make it to look more like a motor boat which in turn reduced the chance of damage. I have made many boats,cars,helicopters and many other toys from plans downloaded from this company, all of which I finished with this formula and have been very satisfied with the results
Kind regards Cob.

Back