Finishing a Guitar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have this dream to build at least one electric guitar.
For once, I am trying to do some planning before I get stuck - I know that's a novel idea to many, but there you are.
It's going to be a solid body of hard maple - about 35mm thick. I have the blanks glued up. The front will be veneer of birds eye maple - purchased from a great guy on ebay.
What I want to know is the best way to glue it on - I intend for the body to be slightly sculptured before applying the veneer, and I don't have access to a vacuum press. I am thinking about leaving the edges square and then rounding them over with a router after applying the veneer.
The second burning question is how to finish the beast? I am conscious that it needs to be robust as the veneer edge is likely to be fragile. I also want a semi gloss clear finish that will allow the beauty of the veneer to show through, and it will have to be applied by brush. I have used acrylic in the past, and like it's clarity, but feel it's a bit too glossy.

Any comments/advice/warning of possible pitfalls would be highly welcome.

Thanks in advance

Denis

It's unusual to use solid maple for a guitar body, but hey, it's your baby. What wood are you using for the neck? Maybe you could do a write up? That's on my 'to-do-list' when I start the next guitar.

You can apply the veneer with as little as a bag of sand: see here

I can't really offer much advise on finishing as I use this and I'm not sure if it can be applied by brush but you could give them a ring to ask. This might be of some use though : Jet Spray Clear Satin Aerosol.

If you need any more advise on guitar building feel free to PM me.

All the best,
Davy

Hey Gman,

There is nothing wrong with a solid maple body. I have tried a solid maple fender, and it was stunning.

If you are worried about the fragile edge of the veneer, you need to bind the top.

Thanks for the suggestion, Davy - I'll follow your suggestions up. A bag of sand sounds low tech enough for me to try.

Jim, your suggestion about binding it is a really good one, except that I kind of have this idea of it being strat shaped - I have a Squire Strat. and it is so comfortable to play.

For my first effort, I chickened out, and bought a secondhand neck on Ebay. I want to get something made quite quickly, and making a neck just felt like one step too far.

Having seen some of the step by step projects on here, Davy's idea of writing it up is a good one. I have only got as far as glueing three maple boards together, so it might be a good place to start. I'll take some pics, and get them up here as soon as I can.

Thanks Again

Denis

Back