Finished wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted a photo of the spokes a while back, but forgot to post the end result, so here goes.
1, the old wheels
2, the new spokes
forgot to take a picture of the Felloes, (rim sections)
3, the new hub, metal parts all original, I did clean them up though.
4, the end result ready for the tyre
5, back on the cart, painted by a very good friend

Attachments

• IMG_1688.jpeg
    IMG_1688.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1556.jpeg
    IMG_1556.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1690.jpeg
    IMG_1690.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 0
Excellent. Watched a program years ago about wagon wheel construction, and how it was becoming a lost art. Understandable given we have went from everyone and his wife owning or using a cart, coach etc to so few in use.

On the prog it was showing old fashioned car wheels in production, which had a metal rim on the outside.
I cant tell from your last pic, but are those metal rims, because they actually look like theyre rubber.

If you haven't already, you should make a vid of you making one.

Lovely work great to see it done again, it bought back memories for me from the early sixty's I was making model travelers vans and carts and made the wheels just the same as you have done but smaller, great work keep it up.

Excellent. Watched a program years ago about wagon wheel construction, and how it was becoming a lost art. Understandable given we have went from everyone and his wife owning or using a cart, coach etc to so few in use.

On the prog it was showing old fashioned car wheels in production, which had a metal rim on the outside.
I cant tell from your last pic, but are those metal rims, because they actually look like theyre rubber.

These have a C shaped steel channel welded in a circle, then heated and shrunk onto the wheel, the rubber tyre then goes in that

These have a C shaped steel channel welded in a circle, then heated and shrunk onto the wheel, the rubber tyre then goes in that
One of Jack Hargreaves excellent series - I can't remember if it's "Out of Town" or "Old Country" - shows how a wooden wheel is fitted with solid rubber tyres. Exactly as you describe a length of rubber tube is forced into a steel channel.

Back