Finished bowl pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmiller

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finished the bowl - did it by hand for the experience - not a way to make a living!! :D Took nearly a day of hand sanding to smooth out sufficiently...
May finish with wax/steel wool.
Would welcome thoughts.
Haven't figured out how to put pics up here yet but the link should take you straight to my blog.
Heading to a turning demonstration on Tuesday night
http://colin89fair.blogspot.com/
:)

Colin,
that's a really nice shaped bowl - well worth viewers clicking on the link to your blog to see the other images of work in progress.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I'm really just a beginner so appreciate the support. Thankfully it didn't turn out turn out a horse's ass, but it did put me off the thought of finishing completely by hand - too much time to sand out all of the nicks etc - in fact, I gave up on a couple in exasperation. Maybe other woods are easier, but the burr elm is a killer :shock:
If I do attempt it again, I'll first find a power tool to help with the donkey work.
If you don't mind a question - I was up in Ballycastle again this weekend (a couple more pieces of burr elm!) and went hunting for some more fallen trees. I found an oak which had been lying for a good while obviously given the state of the bark and moss. I took off a couple of hefty pieces and, once I'd removed the moss and squashy pulp underneath, the heart wood seemed fine. Do you suppose it'll be workable once its dried out eventually?
Thanks

That's a lovely bowl. I would have whacked that piece of wood on the lathe but carving it put has given it a much more interesting shape, well worth the work I think.

I've recently be putting a Bosch PMF 180 E 180w All-Rounder through it's paces. It seems to be pretty well made as I've misused it in every imaginable way while doing our place up and it still goes as well as the day I got it. Anyway, as a plam sander it's a bit chunky but it more than makes up for that by really powering through sanding jobs. As a vibrating saw it's excellent, invaluable when you have to cut in an awkward corner, plung cut a floorboard etc etc.

cjmiller":36n2a1py said:
... I found an oak which had been lying for a good while obviously given the state of the bark and moss. I took off a couple of hefty pieces and, once I'd removed the moss and squashy pulp underneath, the heart wood seemed fine. Do you suppose it'll be workable once its dried out eventually?
Thanks

Colin, I'm not an expert in wet turning but i would have thought the heartwood would be ok to use.

cjmiller":3or0gq86 said:
If you don't mind a question - I was up in Ballycastle again this weekend (a couple more pieces of burr elm!) and went hunting for some more fallen trees. I found an oak which had been lying for a good while obviously given the state of the bark and moss. I took off a couple of hefty pieces and, once I'd removed the moss and squashy pulp underneath, the heart wood seemed fine. Do you suppose it'll be workable once its dried out eventually?
Thanks

How does this work - did you just turn up and chop bits off, or do you have to get permission from someone?

Ferdinand

Latest posts

Back