Finish suitable for a solid-sided Cradle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hasbeen

Reaction score
Greetings

I'm about to start building a cradle for a Grandchild due end of Feb next year:
I've been keeping some nice Elm boards for just this project, but I'm a tad concerned as to what finish to use, particularly on the inside:

Although it won't have a hood, it will be solid-sided and I don't want the nipper lying in a miasma of fumes from the finish!

If I use polyurethane, or some such, will it be fume-free after a couple of months ( I'm not the quickest of workers. ) or would I be better using some other product?

Any advice welcome

Pete

I think that acrylics might be a better bet. Ask if the paints have been certfied as complying with the Toy Regs. Try West Country Finishes as they manufacture child safe paints, including MDF sealants, eudercoats, etc. and are a major supplier to schools. I used to use their stuff on some of kids furniture we made.

Scrit

Acrylics finishs like Scrit said would be the best way to go as children have this habit of chewing what is a round them ( like to top of my bed :shock: :roll: ).
Luckly he is pass that now ( he is 6) :)

Back