Thoughts on stair design & construction.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would prefer veneered ply for the risers, mostly because I try to avoid MDF whenever possible. I'm cheered by the mention of a carpet runner, I have a prejudice against stairs without a nonslip finish since a painful fall down about five treads while visiting a couple of friends who resided in a temple rather than a house. Since then every quote for stairs of any kind has included a paragraph recommending a non slip finish be used.

The cut stringer I posted has now had a carpet runner put on, 3 Westies in the house, If at some point I get chance I will call in and get a piccy.

Also, recently made a winder stair for a young couples house, all solid Oak, but they have since had a baby and were fearful of slipping so they have fitted some of these; anti slip actually work very well and not very noticeable.

If the wife wants some paint, surely the easiest thing is closed stringers, and then paint the risers (and stringers if you like), with solid timber treads? Would be miles easier to make too?

thomashenry":1kcelqqw said:
If the wife wants some paint, surely the easiest thing is closed stringers, and then paint the risers (and stringers if you like), with solid timber treads? Would be miles easier to make too?

No, no no, TH........dear me..........the easiest thing would be for her to see the error of her ways and understand that a fully wooden stair is actually what she wanted all along. :lol: :lol:

Why not mock-up a couple of steps to show the wife the error of her thinking, or maybe, show you whether you like it in reality...

Yes, I would use solid oak on the riser. But I have access to a lot of oak and it's cheaper for me than veneered wood.

Personally I think carpet on stairs is slippery (I am accident prone) and a right pain to clean.

Latest posts

Back