Finish for Oak chopping board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used a quick wipe over of either vegetable or sunflower oil. They looked great, even if i say so myself. Mineral oil is probably the finish of choice from what I have since read.

I saw "how it's made" or similar and they dipped theirs in a veg oil, so that was how I made my decision. That and I had some to hand.

marcros":2htogv63 said:
i used a quick wipe over of either vegetable or sunflower oil. They looked great, even if i say so myself. Mineral oil is probably the finish of choice from what I have since read.

I saw "how it's made" or similar and they dipped theirs in a veg oil, so that was how I made my decision. That and I had some to hand.

i thought about doing that but thought it went 'off ' (rancid) after time..

thanks guys..

Veg oil and olive oil went rancid on a couple I made some time ago.
I don't use any now but Ikea sell Mineral (Paraffin ) Oil.

Rod

yes, I have heard that olive oil can go ransid, and clogs the board. not sure what "clogs the board" actually means though.

I actually don't think you need to use anything if you are using them?

Mine get a quick scrub in the sink and have lasted for years - one 45!

Rod

Walnut oil is excellent for food surfaces, leaves no stickiness behind and does not go rancid. I have been using it for years on end grain chopping boards.
cheers, Neil

Back