Finish for Merranti?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just made a small dovetail box in Merranti with a birds eye maple top. I was thinking of finishing with Osmo but have started to wonder whether I should French polish. Any thoughts please?

Glenn, personally I'd french polish with the blondest of blonde polishes. Firstly because Osmo (like any oil) will add a yellow tint to the maple where as a blonde french polish will "pop" the grain but preserve the colour, secondly because a box is unlikely to get any alcohol on it and doesn't need much in the way of protection, and thirdly because it'll make your special project just that little bit more special!

Good luck.

Hi
I've just posted a separate thread this afternoon enquiring about how to finish a natural oak table so it is sealed from stains.
Are you saying that Osmo oil will protect against spillages such as wine etc.. ?

Thanks
Phil

Phil,
Have a look at the Osmo site and you'll see that some of their products are used on flooring so it is particularly durable and resistant to stains. I would have thought it was OK for oak but drop their customer service a note and I'm sure they'll tell you.

Phil,
Just been looking at Instagram and if you Google Anton Gerner Furniture, the results will give you a link to his Instagram page and you can see an oak panel he has used Osmo on.

Thanks Glynne
I'll check out the Osmo website as suggested.
The pics from the AG Instagram are useful however it looks like it has slightly darkened the oak colour.
I saw a a pale almost limed finish recently which I'd like to replicate. It was a very flat finish but I wondered if it was just liming wax and if that could take a clear finish over the top to seal it from spillages.
As a side note - I used to live in Melbourne about 3 miles from AG's workshop... bit spooky !

Thanks
Phil

Latest posts

Back