Finish for a baby changing table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm getting to the closing stage of building a changing table for my sister and I know that soon I'll have to order something to finish it, but I haven't got much of a clue about finishes to be honest, and the extra complications of this particular project make it harder.

The unit is oak, and being what it is will need to stand up to water, urine, crayons and be child friendly. I'm willing to take on board any advice on this.

Red":2rf525bn said:
Hi all. I'm getting to the closing stage of building a changing table for my sister and I know that soon I'll have to order something to finish it, but I haven't got much of a clue about finishes to be honest, and the extra complications of this particular project make it harder.

The unit is oak, and being what it is will need to stand up to water, urine, crayons and be child friendly. I'm willing to take on board any advice on this.

Your request is unusual, but I think the requirments for chopping boards and babies cradles (cribs, in USA) would be similar, and these are discussed frequently.

BugBear

It sounds like the table is going to be used for more uses than just baby changing.
Most people I know use a plastic coated padded mat or equivalent for laying the babies on?
For the wood I would use a hard wax oil finish for durability ( I use Sam Maloof's mix) though a PU varnish would work as well.

Rod

lol I should specify that there is a recess for a baby changing mat. The finish is for the rest of it to protect it from the peeing baby and the crayon-happy toddler

Back